Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Ancient Mariner
259 Posts
Nice comparison. :yesway:

Here's my take after watching the video.

Cleans: Can't really tell the difference.
Cruch: Triple sounds slightly thicker.
Vintage Ch2: A little less high end on the Triple? I'm thinking the low-mids stand out on the Triple and makes it sound that way.
Ch3 High gain: Triple seems a bit more dynamic.

Over all, they are quite close. So close that it makes it hard to decide. I've been looking at these and I'm 99% sure that I will just go with the Triple.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
This is pretty much backing up my personal experience, since I've owned several Rectos, and the Triple has always been much tighter. The Dual seems to saturate easier, but at the expense of clarity. In a band situation, that clarity suddenly becomes the most important thing.

·
The Singlecut King of Northern VA
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since I havent been in a band to open up the RK, how did you find it compared to the dual and triple when it comes to clarity?

This is pretty much backing up my personal experience, since I've owned several Rectos, and the Triple has always been much tighter. The Dual seems to saturate easier, but at the expense of clarity. In a band situation, that clarity suddenly becomes the most important thing.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
I miss my triple. It was a fun amp to play, and while the RK is super close, there's just something about six 6L6s pummelling you that I miss.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Since I havent been in a band to open up the RK, how did you find it compared to the dual and triple when it comes to clarity?
What Matt said. It didn't suffer from the clarity problems of the standard Duals, since it was so much brighter, but you did have to open it up more than most. I really regretted selling it to you before I bought the Stiletto, since it stomped the Roadster.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
4x6L6 for rhythm, 2x6L6/2xEL-34 for lead.

·
The Singlecut King of Northern VA
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have been itching for a new reborn triple, the RK1 might be up for sale!

What Matt said. It didn't suffer from the clarity problems of the standard Duals, since it was so much brighter, but you did have to open it up more than most. I really regretted selling it to you before I bought the Stiletto, since it stomped the Roadster.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I would love to own a Triple... one day, oh yes, she will be mine!

·
HOLY DIVE-AH!
1,727 Posts
I went with the dual because
- it's a tad bit cheaper
- it's a tab bit lighter
- replacing tubes will also be cheaper (less of them)
- it's ridiculously loud even at 50 watts (running 2 6l6's in my first gen) that there is simply no need for 150 watts for any place i'll ever play at.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
The reason to get a Triple has nothing to do with the power rating, and everything to do with how it sounds better.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
The reason to get a Triple has nothing to do with the power rating, and everything to do with how it sounds better.
Dingalingadingdong (although, to be frank, i prefer the roadster over the triple.)

·
Obsessed by day glo Green
2,827 Posts
Been playing triples thhis last tour in rssia (couldn't take the roadking), and definately, they are awesome little amps, prefer them to duals. Sound utterly devastating boosted, runs great through marshall and mesa cabs, so it's an all round winner for gigging and turning u to venues with where you're not sure what you're going to get.

I also must stat I love my RKII, that thing is awesomeness beyond awesome, but now I want a triple to go with it... arse... :D

Still, I do prefer the RK just because of the versatility of it.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

noodles said:
Yea and I find it's more articulate at louder volumes where the dual has a tendency to sound like a brickwall sometimes.

·
I rippity rhymes, da rhymes dat I rip
217 Posts
For those that have been fortunate enough to play with so many rectos can you comment on the newer "reborn" versions? How do they compare to the 2000-2009 3ch and classic 2 ch triple recs? I haven't had a chance to play with them since I'm up in the sticks in Canada for school. I just sold my Mark IV not to long ago and of course after I bought some camera equipment I've got some MAJOR GAS for plugging my 7 into a recto. I've only gotten the chance to play an electric guitar twice in the last 9 months now... I'm starting to loose it! :wallbash: No more grandpa's guitars! :scream:

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
I think what we've learned here today is that headroom is awesome for high gain stuff. I've always preferred amps with lots of headroom.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts