Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I heard the other day that they got this guy, Jeff Gutt, that they'd been working with since May of 2017. Found out he was an former X-Factor contestant and that got me a bit concerned, then I checked out some of his X-Factor performances and realized the dude could fucking SING. I was eagerly awaiting videos from STP's set at the Troubador so I could hear how he'd tackle Scott's vocals, because I wasn't getting a big 'Scott vibe' from the X-Factor stuff.

Found this video (audio only) on YouTube earlier and shit my pants.

Man, he fucking nails so many of Scott's nuances, little bridge-between-notes stuff, the attitude, the tone....I think even better than Todd La Torre can cop Tate's sound. There's a new studio tune at the end of this that really shows even better how close he can pull it off. I'm actually REALLY fucking excited to see what they do in the future.

The Chester Temple Pilots was cool in theory, but Chester didn't get half as close to this. I'm really floored.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Yeah, awesome voice and he sounds perfect with these guys. I hope someone uploads a full live set to YouTube soon. Loving his vocal melodies on the new track they released.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Army Of Anyone was killer. I could pretty much listen to anything Ray Luzier plays on and love the shit out of it because he's one of my favorite drummers and he just slays the kit. Anyone ever pick up on a more rocked-out version of Rod Stewart in Patrick's voice? Dude's a great singer and has written plenty of his own killer tunes over the years.

I remember seeing Scott and Dean do the acoustic version of "Plush" on MTV back when it happened, was there for all the video premiers of all the tunes, I've been a fan ever since they first popped up on MTV, I've always been a fan. Back in 2008 when they first got back together, we had tickets to see them in Mass (I still call it Greatwoods, but the venue is something else now). They played in Jersey the night before and Weiland was all fucked up, they couldn't get him off the bus....Dean was pounding on Scott's bus saying "Let's go Axl! Come on Axl!", so we were thinking the Mass show might get cancelled but they showed up and opened with "Big Empty" and Scott was fucking DEAD ON. I bawled my eyes out for half that show (I was also SHITFACED as we pre-gamed for a good 2-3 hours before even walking in). It was one of those shows that the entire audience was just so happy to see those guys out and kicking ass again. Filter actually played that show as well.

I'll be first in line or opening the page for a pre-order for this album. I think Dean, Robert and Eric have certainly earned the right to keep using the name and carrying on because those guys have really never stopped trying to make STP work, it was only when they simply couldn't that they had Army Of Anyone and Talk Show (IIRC?). So stoked to hear Jeff just killing it.

What really blows me away on "Meadows" are the slight nuances Scott, right at 0:47, that "on and on"....that's just so fucking Scott, same with the "killing time and having fun"....you'd never know that wasn't Scott. It's one thing to have the same vocal sound as someone else, but those small inflections, man....that shit is so fucking hard to nail down and it sounds like this guy can pull it off with ease.

Here's the new track-

·
Bah. I still suck.
1,323 Posts
I was expecting Kelly Clarkson to start singing on that new tune.

·
Resident Winger Overlord
4,287 Posts
yawn

·
Resident Winger Overlord
4,287 Posts
Yet you dug that In Flames cover of "Down In A Hole"? You're a twisted sunuvabitch.
Haha maybe. But that's why I like music. Because I can like whatever I want.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts