Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Starts playing it and going through it at around 12:50. Sounds... like dUg! Love how he's forgotten most of the King's X songs :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)yesway:)

I want a pedal that does all that. Please, Tech21?

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
I'm surprised he'd ditch the AxeFX and run with this, but I know the dude has been on a cash slump the last few years and an endorsement can bring in some extra bucks.

One of my favorite bass players and it's got nothing to do with his playing, his sound is just so fucking huge. I saw King's X at NAMM 2011 in a small room, I was so stoked to hear his bass in a live room. It was *exactly* what I expected when he came out on stage and started checking his sound. I felt it roll right across the floor and hit me in the chest with all that distortion.....so fucking sweet.

Later that night I met him at the Dean NAMM Jam where we stood next to each other and drunkenly rocked out to Hellyeah. I was screaming my ass off, probably at a highly annoying volume, and he didn't even give a shit, he'd just look over and nod/smile approvingly.

We started talking and he asked how old I was when Dogman came out, when I told him "12", this was the reaction-

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I'm using the VT Bass along with a Fulltone GT-500 and it sounds pretty freakin' gnarly. :metal:
I use an Idiotbox Blower Box into a VT Bass, and it gets pretty close.

But I don't see why they couldn't do a dual-channel preamp pedal. Especially given that Tech21 sells WAY more pedals than they do amps :2c:

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
That, and the amps $1800, I believe. :ugh:

Give us a pedal that has the same features as this for under $500 and I'll be pleased.

·
I Am The Tweaker
490 Posts
Odd thing about Tech 21, since they released the Character and "Boost" pedals, they haven't done all that much except for the FlyRig. It's funny because the VT is probably one of the best selling bass pedals out there but in the 5+ years since they've released it, all they've done is repackage it rather than upgrade it.

I will say though that the Darkglass B7K is pretty badass but it costs twice as much as the VT pedal.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think it's a shame how he talks so openly about being broke and having to be opportunistic when selecting collaborations, and going for those who he knows have a name for themselves so will make more money. I'm not entirely sure how open I'd be about that in his situation :ugh:

·
I Am The Tweaker
490 Posts
I think it's a shame how he talks so openly about being broke and having to be opportunistic when selecting collaborations, and going for those who he knows have a name for themselves so will make more money. I'm not entirely sure how open I'd be about that in his situation :ugh:
It does sound a bit on the selfish side but you gotta admit, that amp is one of the best sounding I've ever heard (assuming it was the head on it's own and he wasn't using any extra pedals).

·
Arrr, Matey!
1,798 Posts
It sounds awesome and I'd love to try one, though for $1800 I'd probably buy something with tubes.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
It does sound a bit on the selfish side but you gotta admit, that amp is one of the best sounding I've ever heard (assuming it was the head on it's own and he wasn't using any extra pedals).
There's a video of him going straight into one at NAMM and it pretty much was him nailing his sound.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
I don't think he's being selfish, dude is just broke and trying to make ends meet. It is very odd to know that one of my favorite musicians sleeps on the floor. King's X isn't doing much these days other than a handful of small tours and Jerry has a bit of a recovery before they can continue to do that. I respect the fact that Dug is so open about his life and how things are.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah tbh he says it with complete humility, which i wouldn't expect any other way from him. He's 64(!) and doesn't know how to earn money any other way

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Yeah tbh he says it with complete humility, which i wouldn't expect any other way from him. He's 64(!) and doesn't know how to earn money any other way
When I met them, none of them had much to say. I mean they were very nice, but I could just tell that they were completely exhausted after the show. I hope I get to see them at least one more time. I wish they'd put out another record, but I don't see that happening. :(

·
I Am The Tweaker
490 Posts
At least he's genuine about what he's endorsing. I'm fairly certain that not only will he use the amp but will stand behind it 100%. Unlike a lot of other artists that simply let someone put their name on a product and that's where it ends.

Good on him though, that amp sounds freakin' awesome.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Yeah, that sounds fucking awesome.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts