Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Look, I'm self-taught, so I know this is a dumb question, don't dog-pile me telling me I'm an idiot...
I haven't been in a band for years, and I only play death metal/metalcore stuff, so I just detune until my bridge is sagging, :D and I figure I'm good since I don't need to be in tune with anyone right now...
My old tuner doesn't tell me what key I'm in, just what note I'm playing.
So, last night I wised up and checked Itunes to see if there was a free app, and there are, so I downloaded one. It shows a key of "Db," but it lists it chronological below low C. Is Db tuning just C#? If so, seems odd that they'd list it below C.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't follow what you're saying... I found an app for tuning (guitarjamz.com Epic Tuner) I'd be tuning my low E string to that, and then the rest of the strings to my E, right?

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
I don't follow what you're saying... I found an app for tuning (guitarjamz.com Epic Tuner) I'd be tuning my low E string to that, and then the rest of the strings to my E, right?
You can do that, but like KennyG said, it's best to get a chromatic tuner and then "learn" your guitar tunings, i.e. Drop C being C G C F A D ascending, Standard E being E A D G B E, etc.

With a chromatic tuner you'd tune each individual string up to its respective pitch. This will make life exponentially easier with a trem equipped guitar as well. Another little tidbit: tune your string UP to the note, not down. even if you are at a higher pitch, drop slightly below it, then come up to the right pitch.

To answer your other question, Db is the same as C#.

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
That's right. :yesway:

And, yes, Db is the same as C#.

It sounds like you've got some terms mixed up, dude. A tuner won't show you what key you're in. If it did, it would need to hear a couple of chords or notes of a scale to be able to tell. A tuner listens to individual notes and tell you what note they are, and how flat or sharp they are from being 'perfect'.

People talk about 'what tuning they're in' as a shorthand way of saying what each string is tuned to (saying 'E standard' means E, A, D, G, B, E (low to high)). Separate to this is 'what key a song is in', which is a separate thing.

Edit: you have to get up early in the morning to beat Adam.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's right. :yesway:

And, yes, Db is the same as C#.

It sounds like you've got some terms mixed up, dude. A tuner won't show you what key you're in. If it did, it would need to hear a couple of chords or notes of a scale to be able to tell. A tuner listens to individual notes and tell you what note they are, and how flat or sharp they are from being 'perfect'.

People talk about 'what tuning they're in' as a shorthand way of saying what each string is tuned to (saying 'E standard' means E, A, D, G, B, E (low to high)). Separate to this is 'what key a song is in', which is a separate thing.

Edit: you have to get up early in the morning to beat Adam.
Okay, now I'm thoroughly confused. I was under the impression that the tuning (Such as Db or C#) referred to what octave of the note you're tuned to open?

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
whether you call something Db or C# would depend on the key but really it doesn't matter. I always thought keys and such were a bunch of bullshit. The only reason they exist is so they could use less ink when printing sheet music.

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Okay, now I'm thoroughly confused. I was under the impression that the tuning (Such as Db or C#) referred to what octave of the note you're tuned to open?
I'm not entirely sure I understand your question, man. I might be misunderstanding you, but it seems like you've got some terms a little mixed up.

The letter name only tells you which note, but not at which octave. It's a bit like the numbers on an analogue clock. They don't denote whether day or night on their own.

There's a high E and a low E string on the guitar. They're both E. To know which octave each is at, you have to add extra info that refers to some sort of fixed point (usually middle C). Just like adding A.M or P.M to an analogue clock.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.