Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
I miss you Avalanche
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I apparently asked a buddy of mine to order me the Dune - Extended Edition DVD set from Amazon a while ago, but it was backordered, and I forgot about it. He stopped by today, and brought it. :yesway:

So its a double sided DVD. One side has the original theatrical release, the other side has the 40 additional minute extended version. I just did a quick comparison of the one versus the other. I can see that they 'updated' a couple of things in the original version (the voice of the navigator creature), and I can also see much added 'story' in the extended edition, just in the first couple of chapters. They redid the prologue (more info, a cartoon drawing slideshow format, narrated by a man, not like by Virginia Madsen in the original).

In any case, I can't wait to watch the original movie, front to back... and then watch the extended edition to compare. This is gonna be a fun thing for me :yesway:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Oh god, they better have added a lot of "good" in those extra 40 minutes, because that adaptation was awful.

The Sci-Fi channel version was much better, and much closer to the books.

·
I miss you Avalanche
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm pretty sure the 'extended' edition IS the Sci-Fi channel version

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts

·
18,790 Posts

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Watch the miniseries. Also, read the book.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Oh god, they better have added a lot of "good" in those extra 40 minutes, because that adaptation was awful.

The Sci-Fi channel version was much better, and much closer to the books.
:agreed: The sci-fi channel version was much better, as was their version of "Children of Dune."

·
I miss you Avalanche
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh, 'that' one. Yeah, I never got to see it.

I've never seen Dune, but would love to. Point me to which one I should pick up.
Well, speaking from my experience, I haven't read the book. So the movie didn't 'ruin' anything for me, not being as 'true' as say the mini-series may have been. I think the original movie is a classic. I would start there, and if it catches your interest, then move on to either the extended edition or the mini-series.

If you're a snob about your HD, only the original release is in HD. The extended edition is only available on DVD, not Blu-Ray.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I watched the mini series a while back, I still haven't read the books but I picked them up a few months ago and will get around to them soon, I just need to finish the series I'm reading. I hope I didn't ruin the books by seeing the show first.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Really? I thought the original movie was horrible, and not a classic.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Did you read the book first?
Yes. Even so, though, it just was disjointed and wasn't well paced, explained, or put together.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts