Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately in an attempt to mix things up and maybe look around at some new stuff I have put aside my Beloved, red Jazz 3 picks and have been trying out some new stuff.

I grabbed an assortment of Tortex Jazz 3 and ended up liking the 1.35 quite a bit playing/feel wise but it seemed a bit soft. 1.5 was a good bit better but I thought it could still be better still.

I said screw it and grabbed some of those Dunlop Flow picks on a whim (2.0 mm) and holy jeebus those things are pretty fantastic. Really good volume and tone from it. Very noticeable volume increase from them. Size wize they are slightly larger than jazz 3 (close enough in size for me)

Moving up to 2.0 mm is taking some adjustment. I am going to try them in 1.5mm and see if I like those as well.

I switched back to the 1.35 tortex after playing with these a lot and it seemed to make my picking a bit faster.

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
Never tried those. I used the Tortex 1.14s for 20+ years, then a buddy turned me onto the Big Stubby 2.0s about 6 months ago and I love 'em. Will give the Flows a try next.

Reactions: watson503

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
Long time Jazz-size user, I've had 100 of them with my username (see avatar) on them for the last 5 years or so. Last year I tried a Petrucci pick and fell in love with the way the tip glides off the strings. Not sure if it's a Petrucci flow pick, but all I've been using have been the Petrucci's for quite some time. I'm definitely interested in the Flow picks!

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
I've got a set of Petrucci flow picks. The tip is especially sharp but the body feels SO fat.

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
Bought a pack. Tried them, sold them and went back to my carbon fiber Max Grip Jazz III. :shrug:

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess the petrucci flows are smooth. And just have the logo on them. I like the grippy bits in the standard flow pics, but will try and snag a petrucci for comparison.

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i snagged a pack of 1.5 mm and after switching back and forth with the 2.0mm I much prefer the 2.0mm.

Now I am wondering if I should try the 3.0mm :lol:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Switched from the Ultex Jazz 3 to the Flow 2.0 mm on a whim, basically. I really, really love them, especially for live use. I've tried getting back into my Jazz 3 Ultex and Jazz 3 Eric Johnson picks, but I can only use them in the studio, at best.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I've been using the Troochi giant-ass J3's for quite a while on my Warmoth SG, tuned to drop B, but then picked up my Les Paul after a LONG time of not playing it (or anything else), and it didn't feel right. Went right back to the normal J3, and it was butter all over again.

So, I think I really like the big J3 for the looser feel on looser strings, and the normal J3 for tighter strings.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Grabbed some of the Petrucci ones on a whim, liked them enough to buy more and then a bunch of the slightly thinner ones, and had pretty much settled on the 1.5mm for a while there...

...until one day I picked up one of my 1.0mm Dunlop Pitch Black jazzes, rediscovered them all over again, and switched back. :lol: Ahh, picks...

·
Its Nis Pe, bitch!
605 Posts
I tend to just keep a variety of Jazz-style picks around and see what I'm feeling on a particular day, variety is the spice of life as they say.

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
Jazz IIIs for electric, Dunlop Tortex 1mm for bass (if I use a pick), and a bunch of different variations of Fender picks for acoustic. The pick can change the sound so much, especially on an acoustic.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I've been using the 2.0mm standard Dunlop Flow picks since they were released and I haven't looked back. They feel good with the grips (without feeling like sandpaper), sound great and last for ages too. I never thought I'd move away from Jazz III's but these Flow picks are great.

·
SPEEEEED HOOOOLES!!!
1,075 Posts
There's a new shop opening up down the street for me and I had a chat with the owner. He had a petrucci flow lying around and honesty it was preeeetty sick. I ordered 2 packs of 1.5 flows on the spot.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I'm trying the Flow Standard .73, and it's pretty awesome. Cheaper than the .73 Primetone Jazz III XL's I have been using.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts