Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Force User
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I just wanted to tell you guys about the cool thing that Dunlop did for me. I have been wanting to try out the Ultex Sharp picks. Unfortunately none of the shops near me carried them. Sure they could order them for me, if I ordered a case of 72 picks. Dont know about you but I dont want to get 72 of anything that I dont know if I am going to like. So I sent an email to Dunlop and asked them if they knew of any shops near me that might have them. I figured I would get a generic email back telling me about all the stores that carried their products. This was not the case. They emailed me back and said that they were sending me a sample pack and gave me the websites that I could order from if I liked them. A few days later I got a dozen picks and a bunch of stickers. (my favorite sticker is for the swollen pickle pedal). The picks were a few different styles and gauges. I decided to tell you guys about this because anymore most companies think it is acceptable customer service to have an automatic email sent back and be done with it. But Dunlop actually provided real customer service. Oh and now I cant decide what picks I like better the Ultex sharp or the Max Grip.
:metal::yoda:

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
That's very cool. :yesway:

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Wirelessly posted (HTC_Dream Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-ca; Build/CUPCAKE) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

That's cool! Ultex jazz III here

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Nice to know they're a good company to support! I've been using the Jazz III's for the last several years because I liked them, and I guess I'll continue to use them on principle :lol:

·
Force User
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used to use a stone pick that was the size of a jazz III. After I decided to stop paying $7 a pick just to lose them I switched to the jazz III. After awhile I noticed the side of my finger hurt and I realized it was because I holding the pick to hard due to its size. So I switched back to a standard size pick. But always wanted to find something that was similar in end shape to the Jazz III. The sharp is like that. The max grip is close but has a texture on it kinda like the text on the jazz III.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
I've been using 3mm Big Stubbies for a few years now. I've tried a few other things, Clayton's version, a Camel bone pick that was similar (but longer), and V Picks. I quite liked the V Picks...until I lost them. :lol: Even before I lost my V Picks I switched back to my Dunlops after the novelty wore off.

·
EFILNIKUFESIN
1,657 Posts
Cool story!
I Use some Ultex Jazz IIIs after I dremel them down a bit in the middle :)
They are ugly as fuck, but they play like butter!

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
That is outstanding. :agreed: Odd how most companies don't recognize that a dollar's worth of free gear can make a new customer for life.

I like the black stiffo Max Grip Jazz III.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Really cool to see companies do that! Dunlop gator grip 1.14 for me.

In a similar situation a guy that comes into the store i work at quite often bought a Black Heart amp from a store a few miles down the road and had a tube that was microphonic. He contacted Black Heart and they shipped him out an entire set of groove tubes at no cost. They never asked him to return to other tubes either.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I LOVE the ultex sharps. I used Jazz III's for years but I always felt like when playing riffs that my sound lacked a bit of extra punch. Tried the sharps and after getting used to them for a little bit it's all I use. Just tried out the 2mm sharp and I think I'm gonna stick with that.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
The ultex Jazz III's are more durable than normal Jazz III's, but for some reason the ultex sharp seemed to wear quicker. Maybe because it's thinner? I grind down picks like crazy though. The carbon fiber Jazz III is the only pick I've tried that I don't need to replace in under a week, so I'm using that now instead of the ultex.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
I used to use a stone pick that was the size of a jazz III. After I decided to stop paying $7 a pick just to lose them I switched to the jazz III. After awhile I noticed the side of my finger hurt and I realized it was because I holding the pick to hard due to its size. So I switched back to a standard size pick. But always wanted to find something that was similar in end shape to the Jazz III. The sharp is like that. The max grip is close but has a texture on it kinda like the text on the jazz III.
They sell XL sized Jazz IIIs in black and red Dunlop Manufacturing :: Guitar Picks :: :: Jazz III XL

I just got some Jazztone 205, 208, Jazz III XL red + black and Ultex Jazz IIIs. If you like the Jazz III the 205 is the same size but thicker and the edge is rounded, the 208 is the like-model for the XL sized ones.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
The ultex Jazz III's are more durable than normal Jazz III's, but for some reason the ultex sharp seemed to wear quicker. Maybe because it's thinner? I grind down picks like crazy though. The carbon fiber Jazz III is the only pick I've tried that I don't need to replace in under a week, so I'm using that now instead of the ultex.
The ultex sharps do wear like crazy. One song with moderate trem picking and they are fucked. Which is a shame, since they are awesome picks.

I can't do the smaller jazzes anymore. So I'm using Black Jazz III xls now. The carbon fiber max grips are cool too, but I prefer the larger size.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
Ultex Jazz IIIs and Eric Johnson signature picks for me. The EJs have a little bit clankier tone vs the more even tone of the ultex ones, but they both feel fantastic

1 - 20 of 29 Posts