Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Whoa...

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
Thats fucking awesome, but the timing is a little crazy. This is like predicting an earth quake. It might be in this state for another million years.

Not to mention, if we see it anytime soon, that means it ACTUALLY blew up, about 1300 years ago

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Thats fucking awesome, but the timing is a little crazy. This is like predicting when an earth quake. It might be in this state for another million years.

Not to mention, if we see it anytime soon, that means it ACTUALLY blew up, about 1300 years ago
I know, this is another slightly sensational article. What is cool though is that I didn't realize any stars were close enough to us to grow to that visible magnitude when the supernova goes pop. :eek:

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
What is cool though is that I didn't realize any stars were close enough to us to grow to that visible magnitude when the supernova goes pop. :eek:
Oh hell yea. Beetlegeuise is 1300 light years away(of course its pretty fucking huge) and the closest star to the sun is 4, 4.5 light years away.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know, this is another slightly sensational article. What is cool though is that I didn't realize any stars were close enough to us to grow to that visible magnitude when the supernova goes pop. :eek:
A supernova puts out more energy than the sun will in its entire lifetime, and shines brighter than a galaxy when it first explodes. It is insane how bright they are.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can you even imagine how bad people are going to flip the fuck out if the human race is around when this happens? :lol:
Oh, man, I can just see how nuts the fundies will go over it. They'll think the seventh seal has been popped, and if there is a Dem in the White House, they'll label him the Antichrist. :lol:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
...and, of course, there is the requisite 2012 mention. :noplease:
I lost all faith in the article at that phrase. So, you can't tell whether someone is going to die of old age in 5 or 10 years, but you can estimate that a star will go supernova in 1 year from now? :rolleyes: Well, it might, but it might also do it in 100,000, 200,000, or 300,000 years from now. Stellar time scales are pretty long.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I lost all faith in the article at that phrase. So, you can't tell whether someone is going to die of old age in 5 or 10 years, but you can estimate that a star will go supernova in 1 year from now? :rolleyes: Well, it might, but it might also do it in 100,000, 200,000, or 300,000 years from now. Stellar time scales are pretty long.
The more time I spend on online news sites, the more I'm convinced the human race is regressing.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
:lol:

Predicting a supernova? Maybe a TypeIa, but Betelgeuse?

:lol:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts