Metal Guitarist Forums banner

2621 - 2639 of 2639 Posts

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Local drive-in theater owned by a family I know for playing the cover band circuit. I was there a couple weeks ago and they've got a little woodshed basically that they sell movie tickets out of and the guy I guess took up the hobby of jamming in there to kill time, and he had exactly that, an aged silverburst Gibson LPC, '78 or '79 sitting on the stand with a ray of divine light beaming down on it. I was equal parts amazed that he had it and amazed that he'd leave the house with it.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
The bullshit around silverbursts makes all the guys with their $15k "Murphy-aged '59 Reissue Bursts" look almost reasonable.

Seventies-era LPCs (up through 1981) of any finish are either (1) a magical tone machine or (2) the sonic equivalent of attaching strings and pickups to a cement block. There's almost nothing in between. Anyone who buys a Norlin LPC without playing it is asking for trouble...or is someone who thinks that "Adam Jones silverburst vibe wall art" is a legitimate thing.

·
Arrr, Matey!
1,798 Posts
Seventies-era LPCs (up through 1981) of any finish are either (1) a magical tone machine or (2) the sonic equivalent of attaching strings and pickups to a cement block. There's almost nothing in between. Anyone who buys a Norlin LPC without playing it is asking for trouble...or is someone who thinks that "Adam Jones silverburst vibe wall art" is a legitimate thing.
I'd love to get a birth year LPC next (1980), but this is the biggest thing that scares me. It was originally going to be a Silverburst but fuck paying those prices - they are out of their fucking minds.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
2621 - 2639 of 2639 Posts