Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I take care of Ebony fret boards? and while we are at it Maple fret boards? I know Lem-oil is mainly for Rosewood boards and I've been using it to clean my other guitars fret boards when I change strings but on my Jr V it is Ebony, and I have no clue how to take care of it.:ugh:

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So it is basicly, Rosewood like every string change, or if the fret board is looking dry, Ebony is just very rarely?

·
Read Only
3 Posts
It doesn't hurt the ebony to do it more often. I do it twice a year, because that's how often I change strings :lol:

·
Metal Acolyte
603 Posts
If a maple fretboard has a finish on it that is the same as a guitar finish, then use the same cleaning method you would use for the body. Don't use anything that would eat through the finish, and don't bother with oils like you would use for unfinished fretboard woods like ebony and rosewood because it won't ever get absorbed into the wood like it is supposed to (you'll just be wasting it).

For unfinished maple, I believe there are Ernie Ball wipes designed to work with such fretboards which many Wolfgang owners swear by.

For ebony and rosewood I use a general-purpose wood cleanser (any kind that doesn't have waxes or anything that would block absorption will do) to get any dirt or oil buildup cleaned out, and then I use Fret Doctor to restore the wood to its healthiest possible condition.

As always, avoid any solution that might compromise the adhesion of the frets in their slots. Anything with industrial solvents or heavy acids, for instance.

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^ even though it seem like Ebony hardly has pores like rosewood does?

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Ebony needs to be oiled far more often than rosewood. Rosewood dries out and looks like shit. Ebony dries out and cracks. Ebony is a very brittle wood.

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ebony needs to be oiled far more often than rosewood. Rosewood dries out and looks like shit. Ebony dries out and cracks. Ebony is a very brittle wood.
So I should oil at least every other string change then? I change string quite often, unlike Matt C. :lol:

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
I get my fretboards very dirty, so I do it ~ a month or so when im playing, or every 2 months when im not. Ebony gets done monthly no matter what.

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, that would be about when I would be changing strings. I'll strat doing that next time I change strings then, Thanks guys.

·
Turd Furguson
1,847 Posts
Like Max said Ebony has a propensity to get very dry and will crack. Much more important to oil it frequently than rosewood. When rosewood gets dry it just looks like shit, but it doesn't get harmed in any way.

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For some reason I had it in my head, before this thread, that Ebony and Maple was basicly the same thing in the care of them. :shrug: But Like I said I'll have to start oiling the Ebony every string strange if possible...With the floyd and all :lol:

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have a question, when ebony cracks, does it have any negative affect other than looks? I used to have a cracked ebony fretboard and I swear it wouldnt stay in tune, as though the cracks affected the straightness of the neck. But my tech swears it has zero affect other than looking weird. He tells me you dont really need to oil ebony more than once every six months.

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a question, when ebony cracks, does it have any negative affect other than looks? I used to have a cracked ebony fretboard and I swear it wouldnt stay in tune, as though the cracks affected the straightness of the neck. But my tech swears it has zero affect other than looking weird. He tells me you dont really need to oil ebony more than once every six months.
:yesway: I'd like to know this to. Just in case.

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
Gerlitz Guitar Honey 3-4 times a year. I've used the stuff for close to five years now and it's awesome. Gives a the wood a nice deep rich look & feel. Not sticky/greasy at all ..& none of that white powdery residue that appears a while after using lemon oil..

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Phantasmagoria said:
Gerlitz Guitar Honey 3-4 times a year. I've used the stuff for close to five years now and it's awesome. Gives a the wood a nice deep rich look & feel. Not sticky/greasy at all ..& none of that white powdery residue that appears a while after using lemon oil..
It's orange oil and bore oil if memory serves. Good stuff

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Your tech is correct; it will not effect how the guitar stays in tune. Tuners, bridge, and nut effect that.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts