Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I just use the Dunlop fretboard conditioner.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Pretty sure Lemon oil is good for Rosewood and Ebony... maple is what you want to avoid

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
I've used lemon oil on my ebony boards for years without problems. Keen to get my hands on some of this stuff to give it a go, though:

Gerlitz USA Guitar Honey

Read some pretty decent reviews of it, and to be honest I'm quite keen to try something other than the lemon oil I've been using for 11+ years!

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

I use guitar honey, but lemon oil works just as well. Can't comment on the Dunlop, although the applicator is probably nice

·
Read Only
3 Posts
I don't really like the applicator as is... I pop it off, then turn it upside down, get it wet and then rub the board. Trying to just rub it on as is, I never got enough oil to come through...

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Fret doctor - it's pretty good stuff. I've noticed the ebony stays moist longer between applications. Plus unlike lemon oil it's not going to dry out the wood.

·
AVH Guitar Repair
327 Posts
YES! Any of these oils mentioned will be good, Chris. Ebony is extremely prone to shrinkage and cracking if left to dry out too much.

Personally and in my repair shops, I've used normal lemon oil (usually Dunlop) for many years with good results.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Matt C said:
I don't really like the applicator as is... I pop it off, then turn it upside down, get it wet and then rub the board. Trying to just rub it on as is, I never got enough oil to come through...
The applicator is definitely a bitch, I really hate it :lol:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts