Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like a pretty interesting pickup combo: JB Jr. bridge, Texas Special middle and a Fernandes Sustainer neck. Also white & maple is the best combo ever :yesway:

Control over the Sustainer's infinite sustain comes via an on/off switch, intensity knob and three-position switch, to adjust between fundamental-only, harmonic-only or blend modes.

Elsewhere, there's a vintage-style synchronized tremolo bridge, vintage-style tuning machines, a '10/56 V' neck profile, 21 narrow-jumbo frets and a synthetic bone nut.

Summer NAMM 2017: Fender launches Ed O’Brien Sustainer Stratocaster guitar | MusicRadar

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Nobody here's going to care for Ed nor Radiohead, but agreed that the specs here are awesome. A strat with a sustainer... :yum:
Looks great, although 21 frets and 6-screw trem aren't my favorite Strat specs.

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
Looks great, although 21 frets and 6-screw trem aren't my favorite Strat specs.
In my case, I hated 6 screw vintage trems for the longest time. But lately I've been playing my Talman strat copy that has one and I've grown to love it. I'm a serial whammy bar abuser and after I've learned how to keep them in tune, 6 screw trems don't bother me at all.

I'll agree with the 21 frets though, even if I can also live without the extra 3 notes.

·
Registered
50 Posts
"........ after I've learned how to keep them in tune, 6 screw trems don't bother me at all. "

Would you feel like sharing what you learned? :cool:

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
Would you feel like sharing what you learned? :cool:
A well cut and well lubed nut. It's the most important factor of keeping tuning stability on any non locking trem.

Locking tuners only keep the string to stay put. You can do that with a good non locking tuner if you string up your guitars well, the locking tuner (which my Talman has) is a luxury option that cuts out the labour. The nut is the key as the strings need to travel smoothly when the whammy bar is used.

I do a lot of bending and I'm not nice to any kind of whammy bar at all. While my still prefer a nice sturdy Floyd/Edge variant, I can survive well without one. Whenever I get a guitar with a non locking nut, I try to make sure the nuts are well maintained. Usually my preferred nuts are either Graphtech or a good solid bone nut, and it's usually the top priority of my modding list long before pickups. This includes my hardtail guitars.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ah, yes..... the nut. If you read 10 different takes on this subject, you'll get 10 different additional reasons why (burrs in the saddle/binding in the string trees/incorrect knife-edge angle/number of springs etc. ..... it just goes on & on ) but the big one always comes back to the nut, doesn't it? This can't possibly be rocket science. I know the Ernie Ball systems (such as on the JP models & the Majesty in particular ) seem to hold their tuning really well & those are non-locking nut.....anyhow,I have a couple of Strats that are basically set up for playing metal & I actually like the feel of the 6 screw vibrato myself..... I too like to beat the shit out of it ( think Blackmore, Uli ) & of course it would be nice to do so & have the piece of mind that I can actually get away with it! I already do the Nut Sauce thing, but if I put Graphite nuts on both my Strats do you know if that's even necessary?

Anyhow, thanks for the quick & concise reply to my original question!

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
All parts where the string slips are equally important for tuning stability.

Nut = string has to slide freely and return to zero
String tree = string has to slide freely and return to zero
Saddle = string has to slide freely and retur to zero
Even the tuner peg where the string has contact... Which can be reduced with a locking nut and pulling the string hard before locking making no winds at all
Bridge must return to zero (good knife edges / as little friction as possible on the screws)

Floyds sort of elimiate those factors (except bridge return to zero, which it relies almost entirely upon). There's still a part of the bridge saddle that can be lubed for better performance.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yeah, I know Floyds deal with all those problems....I have one on 1 guitar & have a Edge Zero on my shred Ibby......love both.....but, just love the old school factor of a stock Strat whammy & won't butcher those sweet guitars up, sooooo .......I'll just keep fiddling with it & hopefully get it down.It's gotten better over the years ( my ability/knowledge to keep a 6 screw Strat bridge in tune ) & my most recent project guitar (Hendrix Strat modded with better PUPs/electronics & scalloped fretboard :cool: ) seems to stay in tune pretty well & I've given it the treatment, for sure.

Thanks for all the advice guys!

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
That guitar is simply stunning!!!

Aren the two screw bridges better for Tunning Stability over the 6? Why still insisting on that Design? Unless the guy never uses the Tremolo but in that case a fixed would be better or he simply likes to have a regular Strat... I love the look on FRs but always block them :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts