1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Head of Agile Gestapo
5,675 Posts
Edge was definitely one of my favorites, I remember when he started in the WWE in the "Brood" with Gangrel and Christian. Best of luck in your future endeavors, Adam!

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Edge was amazing at what he did. Thankfully the issues with his neck were discovered before he did end up in a wheelchair. Lots of pro wrestlers weren't so lucky and weren't smart enough to walk away while they still could.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Smart move to walk away. There's virtually little to none healthcare for these guys, and forget about any sort of workers/performers union.

Way too much of a body count in the past decade of permanently disabled, or worse.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I didn't say they weren't talented. They're very skilled performers. They're like stuntmen who perform live... 99% of what you see is carefully choreographed and not real.

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
I didn't say they weren't talented. They're very skilled performers. They're like stuntmen who perform live... 99% of what you see is carefully choreographed and not real.
this is so painfully obvious that it doesn't need to be mentioned. i think everyone knows that. it's like watching lost or heroes or any tv show. it doesn't make it any less entertaining for those who get into it. I haven't been a fan since i was in single digits but i know a lot of people that love that shit.

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
this is so painfully obvious that it doesn't need to be mentioned. i think everyone knows that. it's like watching lost or heroes or any tv show. it doesn't make it any less entertaining for those who get into it.
I felt this way back when I was a kid watching WWF. I knew it was fake (or at the time, highly suspected) but what made me stop watching it all together was how blatantly obvious it was at times. One match in particular ended it for me. I can't remember if it was WWF or WCW, but I guess the camera man outside the ring got a little too close to the downed wrester. The ref came over to the wrestler to see if he was ok (As the refs always do as part of the show) and the camera picked up the ref saying to the wrestler "Side slam"

Next thing that happens is the downed wrestler gets up, runs towards the other wrestler, and gets side slammed. :lol:

I have no problems with it being fake. Entertainment is entertainment. But I wouldn't watch Heroes either if I heard the director giving orders.

Also, Miss Kitty stopped showing up. Therefore, there really wasn't much reason to keep watching. :(

·
Thread Killer
6,491 Posts
No shit... Santa Claus isnt real either then? :lol:

No matter how you slice it a good chunk of pro wrestlers are very good athletes. I dont care what anyone says. That shit hurts a bit. Obviously you cant punch a guy repeatedly in the head BUT

Get thrown thru a table or hit with a chair you are going feel something.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I guess what it comes down to for me is that the wrestling itself is fake, the outcomes are likely predetermined, and all the drama they inject into the whole circuit is just so laughably, painfully orchestrated that i can't suspend my disbelief long enough to get any entertainment value out of it at all.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I guess what it comes down to for me is that the wrestling itself is fake, the outcomes are likely predetermined, and all the drama they inject into the whole circuit is just so laughably, painfully orchestrated that i can't suspend my disbelief long enough to get any entertainment value out of it at all.
That's a common opinion of it, but it's still entertainment to a lot of people, know what I mean? The top names in pro wrestling work their asses off, have no health benefits, and are paid dick.

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
The worst part about this is that he will probably end up starring in some shitty ass WWE movie production.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
That's a common opinion of it, but it's still entertainment to a lot of people, know what I mean? The top names in pro wrestling work their asses off, have no health benefits, and are paid dick.
You mean they don't get a slice of all that merch that they sell at toy stores? The action figures, walkie-talkies, mini wrestling ring, all that crap with their likenesses on that? Tons of them are household names, and are even in movies (The Rock, Hulk Hogan, Jesse Ventura, The Edge was in a highlander movie!)

Sure, they don't get paid the same as other celebrities, but I doubt they're hurting for money.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
You mean they don't get a slice of all that merch that they sell at toy stores? The action figures, walkie-talkies, mini wrestling ring, all that crap with their likenesses on that? Tons of them are household names, and are even in movies (The Rock, Hulk Hogan, Jesse Ventura, The Edge was in a highlander movie!)

Sure, they don't get paid the same as other celebrities, but I doubt they're hurting for money.
I'm not saying that guys like the Rock are broke. I'm saying they're talented entertainers, and pretty damn good athletes, and though wrestling is fake, they earn their money. For every Rock, there are 3000 Captain Awfuls. :lol:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Think of it as soap operas for guys. Cheesy story lines, frequent bad acting, but with the added benefit of violence. :lol:

However, I stopped watching long ago. I remember being a kid, and there were "rules" that, if caught being broken by the ref, got you disqualified. A good heel was a sneaky little weasel, who cheated his way to victory, behind the backs of clueless refs. You'd get so into that you'd be yelling at the screen, wondering why the stupid fucking ref wouldn't stop yelling at the heel's manager for long enough to see the cheating in progress.

Now, it's all no rules, no holds barred, hitting guys with all manner of unbelievable objects, and the run-in is the standard way for the bad guy to win. Additionally, everyone has to be a huge monster, which is sad, since the featherweight luchadores high-flying acrobatics were one of the highlights of my childhood viewing. They've absolutely ruined it in the race to be too over the top.

Having said all that, though, I've always put wrestling in the same category as Contra, keg stands, Terminator, and setting your farts on fire. It was the thing we'd throw on at college when we were smoking joints and drinking beer. Quit be so damn stuffy. :lol:

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Without wrestling I would never get entertainment like this. (NWS in the slightest)

Also I know the outcomes are predetermined but those guys are goddamn killing themselves. I dodged a flying tooth at my first Ring of Honor show. I watched Roderick Strong get busted open and bleed like a stuck pig and still go on to wrestle another 15 minutes. These guys bust their asses and lots of them end in wheel chairs and they still get jack shit for respect.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts