Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a Jackson that has a Floyd Rose Special on it. I'd prefer to get a Pro Series that has a Floyd Rose 1000, but the price difference in the guitars is pretty huge. I'm not much of a trem guy, so I don't know much other than the "Licensed Floyd Rose" in my old RG470 wouldn't stay in tune for anything, but the Floyd in my S540 is pretty solid.

The only reason I'm getting one at all, is I want to have one guitar with a tree and if I'm selling my S540, then I need to replace it with a trim-equipped guitar.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
The word "licensed Floyd Rose" says absolutly NOTHING about the quality of it.

The Gotoh GE1996T is arguably the BEST Floyd version, and it was (*) also licensed.
Not to mention the top-of-the-line Ibanez Edge.

So people throw around the word "licensed" as if it was a quality rating, even tho it's not.

The bridge on your S540 is the Ibanez Edge, which is their flagship bridge. No wonder it works well.

Ibanez has a fucking djungle of stupid names for a million different bridges.
But there's a trick:

the less amount of words and numbers, the better.

For example:

Ibanez Edge = the best :agreed:
Ibanez Edge-Zero III = stay away :rant:

* the Floyd Rose patent has run out, so nobody has to license their manufacturing anymore.

Here's an old Ibanez Edge, which says "licensed under Floyd Rose patents" on top:

Here's a NEW Ibanez Edge, it does NOT say "licensed" anymore.

The good thing about Floyd Rose Special is that you can EASILY change out the hardware for REAL Original Floyd Rose.
It's the same dimensions. You just have to swap studs and pop the new bridge in (and adjust radius via shims to work with the fretboard).

Original Floyd Rose comes as 10" radius, but you can remove a facotry installed shim that will make it 12".
If you add some thin shims on the outer saddles you can make it whatever flatter radius you want.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Yeah, the RG470 had the Lo-TRS which apparently sucked.

A Gotoh 1996 is about $150 (half the price of the OFR!) so it's not a super expensive upgrade if it fits the trem rout.

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I *think* this is it:

Floyd Rose Special

Doesn't look as good as an Edge, but way better than the Lo-Pro TRS...

·
I measure things
1,917 Posts
I've got a Floyd Rose Special on my HM Strat. I really have not used the trem much at all, so I have no idea how well it does for wear or anything else. I have not had to re-tune the guitar yet and I got it last Spring (I don't play it much, though).

The one thing I am curious about is the strength of the saddles and string lock blocks. My oldest guitar is a Kramer I bought in 1989. It has a Floyd Rose II on that. I think that one has zinc saddles and when I changed the strings on it (way back in either '89 or '90) I tightened it down on the string too much and cracked it, so had to get a new one.

If it gives me trouble I'll just replace it. In your case I would think about that - if I have to replace it, what's the final cost.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
A Rose By Any Other Name: Floyd Rose Tremolo Comparison - Darth Phineas

Some info on the FR1000/Special here.

And here:

Some dude said:
The 1000 is not a "licensed copy". It's an official Floyd, just like the OFR. There are many official models of Floyd; the 2000, 1000 and Special are just three of them.

The FR-1000 is, for all intents and purpsoes, identical to the OFR. The only differences are, depending on the year of manufacture, the name 'Floyd Rose 1000' stamped into it and slight chamfering of the saddle edges. The metals used and all dimensions are exactly the same.

The OFR is cast and assembled in Germany while the 2000 and 1000 are cast and assembled in South Korea. Unless you have an irrational hatred for South Korea there is no reason to suspect the 2000 and 1000 models as being in any way inferior to the OFR.

The Special is slightly different, as it uses zinc for a few less important parts and it usually comes with a smaller block. The vital aspects are steel though, and it does at least stay in tune just as well as any other model in the Floyd line.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1553665

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good info! So, basically for someone like me who rarely uses a trem, a Special should be just fine, right?

I do want to learn how to get out of my “chug rhythm box” I’m stuck in, but I’m a long way from being a whammy bar wizard. Really just want tuning stability and something I can use once in a blue moon.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
It's not true tho.

I have experience with both 1000-series and Original Floyd Rose and they are not the same at all.

Slightly similar, but factually NOT the same. The 1000 series is visually cheaplier made, has wobblier parts, and actually all 1000 series I've tried haven't been able to stay in tune (probably due to bad knife edges).

But I'm sure others have OK or good experienes with 1000 series

I just have never encountered one that works as good as my Original Floyd Rose.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
And by the way, only saying "1000 series" isn't exactly telling the entire story.

Floyd Rose Specials are ALSO "1000".

Original Floyd Rose is "100".

And then we can dig deeper:

FRT-100 = chrome Original Floyd Rose
FRT-200 = black Original Floyd Rose
FRT-300 = gold Original Floyd Rose

FRT-1000 = chrome Korean Floyd Rose
FRT-2000 = black Korean Floyd Rose
FRT-3000 = gold Korean Floyd Rose

FRTS-1000 = chrome Floyd Rose Special
FRTS-2000 = black Floyd Rose Special
FRTS-3000 = gold Floyd Rose Special

FRT-SL1000 = chrome Floyd Rose Speedloader
FRT-SL2000 = black Floyd Rose Speedloader
FRT-SL3000 = gold Floyd Rose Speedloader

And then exists other models and color options which also have their own number codes.

Schecter also was first to introduce the FRT-1500 which was a Korean Floyd Rose with some upgraded stainless steel parts.
I think some other brands are fitting their guitars with them now too, not 100% sure.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
I didn't read everything but the S540 has the BEST Floating Trem ever made: LoPro Edge that is made by Gotoh.

The Gotoh GE1996T due to it's Blade Design is 100% compatible with the German Floyd and it's variants( FR Special and 1000 series), It might be slightly taller but the Pots space aren't a show stopper at all and you can even leave the FR ones in there. They are thinner than the Gotoh ones.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Good info! So, basically for someone like me who rarely uses a trem, a Special should be just fine, right?

I do want to learn how to get out of my "chug rhythm box" I'm stuck in, but I'm a long way from being a whammy bar wizard. Really just want tuning stability and something I can use once in a blue moon.
If you discover you're having tuning issues, the fine tuner tension plate is usually the problem. They seem to have really cheaped out on that part in the Korean versions.

·
Forum MVP
4,767 Posts
Get the guitar you preffer then if need be get a Gotoh down the road. ALL Floyds have issues with production varience, ordering a OFR is no lock on a flawless trem, Suhr stopped using them because they spent too much time fixing them.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
If you discover you're having tuning issues, the fine tuner tension plate is usually the problem. They seem to have really cheaped out on that part in the Korean versions.
That is not "usually" the problem.

The usual problem is worn knife edges (which happens on cheap versions quickly)

Get the guitar you preffer then if need be get a Gotoh down the road. ALL Floyds have issues with production varience, ordering a OFR is no lock on a flawless trem, Suhr stopped using them because they spent too much time fixing them.
I love my Original Floyd Roses, I have and had several, but my latest one has an arm bushing that wont stay in place when pushing the bar away.
Most of the OFRs I've dealt with have had good arm bushings.

However, I do prefer to install the hex-screw push-in version, much better... Haven't got around to do it on all my guitars yet.

But Gotoh comes STOCK with great (screw+hex) arm busheings!!!

·
Forum MVP
4,767 Posts
^^^ I left out "types" all trypes of Floyds. Yeah you can get good ones, but why pay more for a non low profile trem that may or may not be good? Just go Gotoh.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
That is not "usually" the problem.

The usual problem is worn knife edges (which happens on cheap versions quickly)
Apparently it is for you. I've never seen that on anything with Floyd's name on it, since the plates are hardened steel, supposedly identical between the Special and the OEM trems, and the same spec as the OFR. I do suspect there are quite a few fakes out there, though.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts

I do want to learn how to get out of my "chug rhythm box" I'm stuck in, but I'm a long way from being a whammy bar wizard. Really just want tuning stability and something I can use once in a blue moon.
Does it need to be a Floyd style? I'm not a trem guy at all, but I do like having one around for that time I want to have the option (when I'm feeling the Pink Floydiest), and when I do, it's a Gotoh Wilkinson VS100. It's non-locking, strings up through the bottom (no fine tuners), but I've never had tuning issues with it. Granted, that guitar also has a teflon nut and locking tuners, but I can go pretty crazy with the bar and not go out of tune. It's top-mount-ish, so there's no pulling up on it, but I've never felt the desire to do that. It's super smooth and feels great!

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Apparently it is for you. I've never seen that on anything with Floyd's name on it, since the plates are hardened steel, supposedly identical between the Special and the OEM trems, and the same spec as the OFR. I do suspect there are quite a few fakes out there, though.
I can't find it, but a few years ago I have seen a video on Youtube where somebody took a saw machine and cut into different Floyd Rose.
I think he sawed a Floyd Rose Special and a Original Floyd Rose.
The FR Special was definitely not the same quality steel as the OFR!

I can't believe people still think these bridges are the same...

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
The biggest issue I've had with the "special" are the saddles. Very prone to cracking from the string lock screws.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts