Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can you mix el 34's with 6l6's. my amp has four power tubes. they are el 34's. I was wondering if I could replce 2 of the el 34's with 6l6's.

if I can mix them. what effects will it have and what are the pro's and con's?

thanx guy's

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
can you mix el 34's with 6l6's. my amp has four power tubes. they are el 34's. I was wondering if I could replce 2 of the el 34's with 6l6's.

if I can mix them. what effects will it have and what are the pro's and con's?

thanx guy's
I believe you have to BIAS your amp for a specific set of power tubes, with out "custom" configuration i don't think you would be able to.

·
Read Only
1,374 Posts
What amp do you have? I know some simul-class Mesa/Boogies allow this. The Mark III and Mark IV come to mind.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the genz benz eldiablo 100 head. I actually rather just put in 4 6l6 tubes in. it has a bias switch inside next to the tube ports. you can switch it el 34 or 6l6. it seems like all I have to do is buy 4 good 6l6 tubes, flick the switch to 6l6 and put the new tubes in.

is simple? is that all I have to do?

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
You would still need to get it biased in order to sound right and run optimally after flipping the switch to either tube type. It doesn't have a fixed bias. I had the 60 head and loved it with EL34's over 6L6's.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
I have the genz benz eldiablo 100 head. I actually rather just put in 4 6l6 tubes in. it has a bias switch inside next to the tube ports. you can switch it el 34 or 6l6. it seems like all I have to do is buy 4 good 6l6 tubes, flick the switch to 6l6 and put the new tubes in.

is simple? is that all I have to do?
It's not simple, but the guy at Eurotubes sells "mixed" sets selected so they all fall at about the same bias range - one type is a little hot, the other a little cold. I don't know how well they work and I don't know how safe they are with your particular head, but if you drop him a line and tell him what you're playing, maybe he can work with you.

That said, is there a particular reason you want to?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was home tinkering with sound last night and noticed with one little turn of one of the nobs makes it sound completely different. its got a lot of versatility.

I'm kind of starting to like the el 34's. I think this amp has a very unique tone and thats what I'm starting like the most.

this is my first tube head, by the way. other band mates had tube heads over the years. at full volume there amps sounded warm and full, but I never liked the attack that tube heads had.

this head, in my opinion has the tube warmth with very good attack. I like the tone alot. I just wouldnt mind having a little head room on the gain.

now, I didnt get to play it cranked up at band volume yet. I only had the master on 2, so far. this Saturday I will get the hear it in full force.

is there a way to get more gain? I only want a speck more. I like to have just a little more gain then slayer has.

thanks guys

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
I was home tinkering with sound last night and noticed with one little turn of one of the nobs makes it sound completely different. its got a lot of versatility.

I'm kind of starting to like the el 34's. I think this amp has a very unique tone and thats what I'm starting like the most.

this is my first tube head, by the way. other band mates had tube heads over the years. at full volume there amps sounded warm and full, but I never liked the attack that tube heads had.

this head, in my opinion has the tube warmth with very good attack. I like the tone alot. I just wouldnt mind having a little head room on the gain.

now, I didnt get to play it cranked up at band volume yet. I only had the master on 2, so far. this Saturday I will get the hear it in full force.

is there a way to get more gain? I only want a speck more. I like to have just a little more gain then slayer has.

thanks guys
"Usually" EL34's are "warmer" than 6L6 (from my experience), 6L6 have a more "sponge" sound if that makes any sense or a brighter sound, depends on the amp of course.

Did you try a boost in front of the amp?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's not simple, but the guy at Eurotubes sells "mixed" sets selected so they all fall at about the same bias range - one type is a little hot, the other a little cold. I don't know how well they work and I don't know how safe they are with your particular head, but if you drop him a line and tell him what you're playing, maybe he can work with you.

That said, is there a particular reason you want to?
ive just heard that this amp in general is at its best with 6l6's. if I were to change I would go all 6l6's.

but, it seems like its just personal preference. so I may just try the el34's for a little while.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"Usually" EL34's are "warmer" than 6L6 (from my experience), 6L6 have a more "sponge" sound if that makes any sense or a brighter sound, depends on the amp of course.

Did you try a boost in front of the amp?
well if the el 34's are warmer I'll keep em in.

no I didnt try a boost. I was afraid a it would change my tone. what do you mean by boost? a fuzz or distortion pedal or pre amp? I have a samson tube pre amp. will that do it?

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Take some time when using a boost on this amp. You may find that you may not need it at first but once you nail it, you'll know. I don't know what kind of experience you've had using a boost on/or what amps you've owned in the past, but I'm comparing my knowledge with me boosting a Marshall DSL50, a 5150, and 5150ii compared to the GB. It was easier turning down the gain and boosting those other heads for me.

+1 to the warmer sound on EL34's. That's why I preferred it on my 60.

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
well if the el 34's are warmer I'll keep em in.

no I didnt try a boost. I was afraid a it would change my tone. what do you mean by boost? a fuzz or distortion pedal or pre amp? I have a samson tube pre amp. will that do it?
A boost pedal like a Ibanez 808 or MXR GT-OD

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I noticed that the person who had the amp before me replaced the tubes. genz benz el diablo 100 come stocked with ruby el34's.

when I looked in the back, it now has electro harmonix el34 eh power tubes and electro harmonix 12 aX7 pre amp tubes.

I have read a few reviews on this head and they said its not meant for metal. I beg the differ. don't play with a ridiculous amount of gain. I like hearing my playing dynamics.

the day I tried this head, I also tried mesa, vox, 5150 and randall. call me a moron, but I thought hands down this was the most tonally diverse out of all the others. the genz benz had the best attack and warmth.

attack is the main attribute that the other heads lacked in my opinion.

my question is, would the electro harmonix tubes be better then the ruby tubes?
I been playing this head all week and absolutely love the tone.
the uniqueness of the tone is what I love.

also I don't no that the last guy who had the head re biased it. I hope he did it right. thanx guys.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
It's all about what your ears tell you. It also depends on the amp you use with whatever brand power tubes.

The Global Attack and Tube Contour knobs are definitely what makes this amp. And whoever said this isn't made for metal is wrong. GB's own (crappy) demo video shows it's made for metal, although they chose to show it off really scooped... This amp definitely can get honky if you want it too and high gain without even using a boost.

The power section is pretty clean on these amps, what will most likely make it sound "better" or "different" to your ears is what preamp tubes you're using. I say keep the same power tubes for now but remember to get it biased when you replace them, even if you get the same brand. Wait till then before shelling out the moolah for power tubes...unless you have money to splurge on it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts