Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This thing is pretty awesome. Since I'm a huge fan of 70's prog and folk, this thing is right up my alley. If I ever decide to take my keyboard playing anywhere, I'm getting one :yesway:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I can't help but think:

A. I have a preset in Sampletank that sounds as good to me on my laptop, and
B. That girl doesn't like the present day very much.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Tara Busch has some interesting music. She's way into analog tech, but her music is more adventurous than you'd expect--think Kate Bush meets Eno.

As far as the Mellotron goes, I'd love to have one too, but they are both expensive and complicated. I've always loved that sound, though. My Roland JD-990 module has a Mellotron strings patch that I love--it even includes a pitch/speed variation using key touch sensitivity that allows you to get that off-pitch wackiness the Mellotron is famous for.

BTW, the Mellotron company now has a digital version in addition to a re-release of the classic machine, but I don't know that much about it.

John Medeski does some amazing Mellotron stuff in his new band with Vernon Reid, Jack Bruce and Cindy Blackman, but I can't find any YouTube of it. I have a "guerrilla video" DVD that shows him manually manipulating the tape mechanism with the "hood" open while he plays the thing. Pretty unreal sounds, and not at all what you'd expect from analog gear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts