Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 1024 Posts

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been meaning to make this thread for a while, after getting the ok from Chris. This will be a preface to my website and my own subforum on here, just need to get more material worked up for the site and work with Chris on the subforum thing.

I've got several builds currently in progress, some spoken for, some not. I'll start with the pair of 8 string multiscale guitars I'm building.

Specs of the customers 8:

• 25.5-27" scale length
  • Custom made bridge
  • Nordstrand custom made pickups
  • Ash body
  • Maple/Purpleheart neck
  • Ash headstock
  • East Indian rosewood fretboard
  • Asymmetrical neck profile(see here
  • Off center truss rod
  • Hipshot tuners(black)
  • Dunlop recessed straplocks
  • Neutrik output jack
  • Single volume
  • 3 way blade switch
  • Graphtech Black Tusq nut
  • Grey to black burst

Specs of my 8
  • 25.5-27" scale length
  • Custom made bridge
  • Nordstrand custom made pickups
  • Mahogany body
  • Very thick quilted maple top with a new concept, forearm contour bent into the edge of the top.
  • Maple/walnut 5 piece neck
  • African mahogany headstock
  • Cocobolo fretboard
  • Asymmetrical neck profile
  • Off-center truss rod
  • Hipshot tuners(black)
  • Dunlop recessed straplocks
  • Neutrik output jack
  • Single volume
  • 3 way blade switch
  • Graphtech Black Tusq nut
  • Not sure on finish yet, likely faux natural binding and some kind of burst.

For these builds, I'm building mine first, as the prototype, and building the customers alongside it, though several steps behind. I will likely finish my build before I'm even ready to spray finish on the customers build. I've come up with an individual saddles bridge concept that I am trying out on these builds. Pics:

And one of the saddles/posts installed:

Basically they're pressed in to the body. They're currently made of 3/8" steel rod, as it was the easiest material to attain for prototyping. I may look into using brass in the future.

Here's my drop top carved top:

It's very comfortable but the process is anything but finalized. Lots of trial and error, lots of learning, but that's the price one pays for trying something completely new.

Here's where the customers' 8 currently is:

And the heel, inspired by Chris' blackburst Sherman :wub: :

Here's the headstock:

The customer has already come over recently and checked out the progress in person, it's a pretty awesome feeling seeing someone just light up over an unfinished guitar! He laid out the controls for me while he was here and asked for a slight tweak on the neck profile, otherwise was extremely happy with how things were shaping up.

Late last week I went out into the shop and decided, kind of spur of the moment, that I was going to come up with a single cut design. I pulled out my superstrat template and got to work, this is what I came up with:

It's slightly wider in the lower bout than the superstrat shape, otherwise it's the same lower horn and same curve at the butt end. The shape isn't final yet but I'm happy with the overall look of it right now. I'll finalize the shape after I've made the neck so I can see how it will turn out. Here it is with its top wood:

That's a redwood top, and just gorgeous if I do say so myself.

My straight scale 8 is also still a work in progress:

I put it together and set it up so my local customer could check out the asymmetrical neck(which he decided he MUST have) and the Nordstrand(which he also decided he MUST have). I need to order a new neck single as I somehow managed to lose the one I had. I also still need to wet sand and buff it, finish its wiring, finish the nut, apply a headstock decal(which I still need to source a company to make them), and spend a little bit more time on the fretwork. First time using evo fretwire but so far I love it.

Here's the asymmetrical neck profile:

This is also the first build I ever offset the truss rod on, which is why I went ahead and offset it on the 8 multiscales. It allows me to get more agressive with how asymmetrical the neck is while still giving the neck the same adjustment it would have with a centered truss rod. I do not use dual truss rods on 8, I don't feel there's a point.

I'm also working on a build for OrsusMetal on here. It started off as a 'mod my M107' build, maple fretboard, modified body shape, white paint job, modified headstock. It turned into much, much more. I wasn't happy with working with the basswood body, plugging the neck pickup and whatnot. Sean and I decided to move forward with making a custom body for it. The body is a 1 piece swamp ash body and it's VERY light. The bridge pickup will be a BKP, the neck pickup I will likely look into having Nordstrand re-wind it, as Sean supplied a Blaze Single but we both have doubts that that pickup will do the build any justice at all. The bridge will be one of the custom Hipshot bridges based on the RG7X21 bridge that I have Hipshot make for me. The neck has an infinite radius fretboard and will also get evo fretwire.

Here's where the body is currently:

It will be getting a trans white finish with black pore filler and black faux binding, but as you can see, the front isn't taking the pore filler very well. I found the solution yesterday by thinning the vinyl sealer more than I had been. Speaking with Sherm, he told me that the vinyl sealer indeed needs to be thinned more. I'll be pore filling it again after I finish writing this post.

I also shipped this recently:

It's a body I built over a year ago that finally got picked up. Single piece swamp ash, it's an RG shape carved like an S body. The customer wanted an inconsistent stain so I hand wiped it on, it worked out exactly how he wanted. He got it this weekend and assembled it with a Crunch Lab and a Liquifire. The switch is also a Petrucci switch. The pickups are new to him though, as well as the body, so he's still tweaking his presets, but he told me he's extremely happy with the body's quality and feel, said he likes the way the guitar plays even more now. Hopefully he posts an NGD soon.

I've also been working with a friend of mine on a logo and I think we've come up with a final design.

The ECG will likely be a truss rod cover logo while the full wording will appear on the actual headstock.

I'll leave it there for now, I have some other things in progress, like the V/K shaped thing you guys have already seen but it's taken a back seat because of my 8 string builds. I'm also working on a build for Mr. Crooks, which I'll be posting pics of on here very soon.

I'll also end the thread with one last thing. I've got to thank Mike Sherman for helping me along the way over the last what, 5 years? Mike is a huge inspiration to me as well as a great friend and I wouldn't be anywhere CLOSE to where I am now without his guidance. I owe Mike a lot, I'll probably start with alcohol next time I'm up in the north east :lol: Thanks Mike!

Elysian Custom Guitars | Facebook

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
that superstrat body shape is amazing! Also that bridge seems really interesting. Good luck with the build, everything looks great to me.

·
CA Manager / RHLC
1,399 Posts
That replacement body for the M107 is awesome. Good to see you building again :yesway:

·
In brightest day...
422 Posts
He didn't post pictures of what he did to the neck, but he threw a 24 fret, birdseye maple fretboard on it that looks fucking awesome. The only original part is the back of the neck now. :lol:

Needless to say, I'm super excited to get my hands on it.

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
For the love of all that is good and holy, please someone photoshop a crab claw into his banner. :bowdown:

That superstrat body is pretty hot :agreed:

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
I really dig where youre going with the single saddle idea, but what about adjustment? If you need to adjust the intonation at all, or even just fuck with the saddle height, isnt that going to instantly dig right into the top?

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
That super strat carve top is just awesome! Quite unique, yet not gawdy. Well done! I'm not big on the single cut, but it's just a personal taste thing.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I really dig where youre going with the single saddle idea, but what about adjustment? If you need to adjust the intonation at all, or even just fuck with the saddle height, isnt that going to instantly dig right into the top?
Shit, I left out the brass plate section. I had to type this whole thing twice, my Razer mouse's buttons are so sensitive I accidentally closed it after the first time :rofl: it'll have a brass plate that screws to the face, I'll have the plates chromed. Will also provide string grounding. See here:

That'll be the shape of it, and it'll be string through body.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Oh ok :lol:. I was gonna say, you seemed to have thought things through well enough what with prototyping and everything to have such a gaping hole in the design :lol:

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I was bored in trigonometry this morning, sketched these out... Did the bottom one first then the top one... May make up a full sized template for the bottom one, see how I like it.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
That single-cut looks funny... can you superimpose a neck on it? Might help us all see what's going on there :wub:

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That single-cut looks funny... can you superimpose a neck on it? Might help us all see what's going on there :wub:
No, lazy :rofl: like I said though, design is subject to change, the neck will make all the difference. I'm waiting to hear back from the guy interested in it before I start to build the neck... Though if he doesn't get back to me soon I'm just going to start building it.

·
sawdust aficionado
1,343 Posts
Awesome looking work! Your single saddle concept is sooo cool! My only concern would be my picking hand hitting or resting on the posts. I see you have rounded the edges though.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Awesome looking work! Your single saddle concept is sooo cool! My only concern would be my picking hand hitting or resting on the posts. I see you have rounded the edges though.
I'm hoping its no issue. The back curves down, plus the bevel, not to mention how far away from scale length they are, hand should rest more on the saddles than the posts, I think.

1 - 20 of 1024 Posts