Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I emailed off with a few questions to EMG yesterday and got this reply this morning, I mailed:

My Mail said:
Hi, I am writing to enquire if you have any plans to release the following;

Chrome/Gold covered Single-coils
Standard DiMarzio/Seymour Duncan sized 7 string pick-ups
7 string Single-coils

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Anthony Petrie
To which I got this in response:

EMG said:
Anthony,

Chrome and gold are currently humbuckers only, no plans to update the housing shape on the 7-strings...

Seven string single-coils are in the works. No ETA at this time!
Sounds interesting. I wanted some fucking chrome singles though to go in this bastard project I have :pissed:

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
It's a bit of a bummer. I did read somewhere else in another thread that someone from EMG said on FB that standard size 7's were coming though :nuts:
i've read that too - but immediately thought: "well, i would answer that too, just to get rid of 1 out of the 500 chatting me every 2 minutes about this-and-that".

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Totally IMO, but I prefer the aesthetics of the EMG housing anyway. Beside that, the fact they're just straight black does a lot to make them look "big", as they don't require you to remove much more wood (if any, if you consider the lack of having to route ears) than a passive style pickup.

The argument about the impracticality of a design that isn't cross-brand compatible with other companies, as well as the laziness of just reusing a bass housing is an argument for a different day, though.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Totally IMO, but I prefer the aesthetics of the EMG housing anyway. Beside that, the fact they're just straight black does a lot to make them look "big", as they don't require you to remove much more wood (if any, if you consider the lack of having to route ears) than a passive style pickup.

The argument about the impracticality of a design that isn't cross-brand compatible with other companies, as well as the laziness of just reusing a bass housing is an argument for a different day, though.
I have to admit that i also like the more "modern" soapbar form factor. It looks cleaner and more contemporary. However, the fact remains that the rest of the industry hasn't moved to that form factor, and in a market where there's a healthy aftermarket for replacement parts, one company making their product in a form factor that's incompatible with everyone else (and that company getting more and more OEM presence) is a bit troublesome.

On the flip side, since EMG isn't showing any interest in adapting their pickups to the "standard", it would be interesting to see other companies adapting their pickups to the EMG form factor (or at least offering it as an option) so people have some choice.

Choice is good.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
I have to admit that i also like the more "modern" soapbar form factor. It looks cleaner and more contemporary. However, the fact remains that the rest of the industry hasn't moved to that form factor, and in a market where there's a healthy aftermarket for replacement parts, one company making their product in a form factor that's incompatible with everyone else (and that company getting more and more OEM presence) is a bit troublesome.

On the flip side, since EMG isn't showing any interest in adapting their pickups to the "standard", it would be interesting to see other companies adapting their pickups to the EMG form factor (or at least offering it as an option) so people have some choice.

Choice is good.
While I agree that there needs to be a standard that doesn't hang the guitar buyer out to dry, I hope the rest of the industry never moves to the EMG form factor. The things are too damn big, throwing off the look of the guitar to me. Plus, putting adjustable pole pieces in plastic covers just look ugly. I have always preferred the more rugged look of exposed coils, and I ripped the nickle covers off my (now gone) Les Paul the first week I had it.

If I didn't already play custom sevens, I would resent EMG even more for squashing easy pickup changes with those ridiculous pickup housings.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.