Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new acquisition- an 08 Gibson shred X explorer ( all mahogany ) came with emg 85's in both positions. The rig I'm using with this guitar is an Engl Thunder 50 head with a Engl pro cab 2x12 Cele's. I have used plenty of Ibbies with tone zone/air norton's and love the noise but.... i'm just not feeling these emg's and was gonna try some blackout's. Anybody have any other suggestions before I do the deed?

I do not have a lot of experience with actives so's i'd figure I run it by the collective for thoughts as I'm sure someone did this already.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Personally I'd rip out the active mess and put in some passives, since you seem to like passive pickups.

The Blackouts sound "better" to my ears, but they are still active pickups.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One of the things that attracted me to this guitar were the actives ( never having them before ) and the Kahler- never had one of those either! I don't hate the tone but it just feels like the lows are muddy. I've never been that guy that can describe his tone- in fact I hate using the word... tone- I just know what sounds good for me and the 85's seem like they are missing something....

I thought about going passive but I have 4 other guitars that sound a lot alike and the last thing I need is another PAF.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
After playing Blackouts and EMGs, and being more of a passive guy, I reckon you'll be happier with the Blackouts. They aren't prohibitively expensive to get, and you can probably trade it for an EMG 81 if you don't like it anyway.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Blackouts have always sounded better to me, however I've not yet played the new X series from EMG.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My local guy has a blackout pair kit for 159$ my end- gonna give it a go- thanks much for the input. Not a lot of experience with actives so you guys are key.

Enjoi the weekend!!!

Johnny fats

1 - 8 of 8 Posts