Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of 7 string EMG's coming in. There going into an Ibanez RGA7. The guitar has 1 volume pot and an EQ selector switch.
I want to wire that switch to kill power from the battery, so I can leave the guitar plugged in and not have to worry about battery life. Will this work? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I don't see why not. Bonus, get a DPDT switch, so you can kill battery voltage *and* connect hot to ground, so it can serve as a proper killswitch :yesway:

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't see why not. Bonus, get a DPDT switch, so you can kill battery voltage *and* connect hot to ground, so it can serve as a proper killswitch :yesway:
Sounds good. What exactly do you mean by connecting hot to ground? I'm kind of electronically ignorant.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
So, I've done several killswitches on my guitars. Logically, at first, I thought to wire the switch so that the signal goes through the switch, then when you flip it, it opens, and disconnects the lead from the pickup from the output jack. That turns out to be pretty sucky, because it basically turns your guitar and guitar cable into a giant antenna :lol:

Alternatively, if you wire the switch with a tap from the hot connection (basically the TIP of the cable) and the other side to the ground, then when you close the switch, all the signal just dumps to ground, and you have a completely silent guitar, no matter how much gain is behind it.

So then, a DPDT will have basically two sets of these lugs, so one side can disconnect your battery power (interrupt it), and the other can then connect the hot to ground.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts