Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very proud to announce my first Signature Pickup Series EVER!
EMG will debut the Marty Friedman Signature pickups at NAMM.
This passive pickup was developed over the course of the recording of my "Inferno" album and my upcoming album. It retains the trademark EMG heavy metal bite, while also allowing for warm and very human sounding tones. It was an integral part in getting sweet solo tones like this one.
I will be at EMG on 1/20 from 2PM-3PM.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
I'm seriously wondering how many variations of humbuckers it's possible to make...

When I ordered a custom Starstruck I talked to the guy who makes them what I wanted and paid about $120 for it.
Sure it sounded cool and all, but when I compared it to a couple of other pickups (Razor, EMG, Dimarzio) in the same guitar, it sounded pretty much EXACTLY like a Seymour Duncan Distortion. There was just a tiny bit of detail I prefered with the Starstruck.

And the Distortion has a ceramic magnet, and my Starstruck had an Alnico 8 magnet :spock: so yeah, even with vastly different magnets they still managed to sound and feel pretty much the same.

The Razor, EMG and Dimarzio I have compared to, did NOT sound the same as the Starstruck, to make that clear.

So I could basically have saved myself 80$ and bought a used Distortion instead.

Now I wonder if the other Starstruck custom I ordered (and still have and use, unlike the previously mentioned) sounds like a Dimarzio EVO. If I ever got myself one, I will compare and see if I wasted another 120$ on a custom pickup that already sounded like an already existing pickup :lol:

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Cool, these have been coming for a while now so I'm glad they're finally out there.

I like EMG's. I like Marty Friedman. I'll defnitely be getting a set of these to try out. :yesway:

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
This means that EMG HZ are going to be cool now?
I had a set and didn't care much for them... is this a new generation of EMG HZ? Is there something different about them, and if so will that be indicated in some way?

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
I was being a bit sarcastic.

The HZ that usually people complain are the H3's, have no clue on the diference to the H4's and theres also the Children of Bodom guy Sig HZ's

The theres this were I gotta be honest i cant hear any diference at all...

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I was being a bit sarcastic.

The HZ that usually people complain are the H3's, have no clue on the diference to the H4's and theres also the Children of Bodom guy Sig HZ's

The theres this were I gotta be honest i cant hear any diference at all...

Really? I thought the H3s in my SLSMG sucked, at least in the bridge.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
This means that EMG HZ are going to be cool now?
They became cool when the GZR set was released.

Also, I've tried the HZ H4s, 85, and 81 in the bridge... The HZ sounds nothing like an 81. It sounds like a muddier 85. I've tried Korean-made pickups that smoke them.

But yeah, the HZs usually suck, but the GZR set has been getting a ton of praise. I'm guessing when they actually have people that know good tone, their passives are good.

·
Registered
Ibanez JIVA10
52 Posts
I had a different experience with EMG HzH3s. In March, 2005, I bought a Jackson SLSMG. It is still my guitar. It came from the factory with H3s. In August, 2007, I got another SLSMG which came from the factory with an EMG 81 at the bridge and an EMG 85 at the neck. I played both guitars through a stack consisting of a Marshall JCM900 2100 SL-X head, a Marshall 1960A and a Marshall 1960B. The H3s did not sound the same as the 81/85 combination. However, they did not sound bad. Their sound was more rock and less metal. After a few years, I sold the second SLSMG and replaced the H3s in my original SLSMG with an 81/81 combination which I like very much.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Prashant Aswani is another EMG HZ user and I've always loved his playing and tone. Nowadays I'm really starting to think that pickups don't make too much of a difference in the grand scheme. If they're in a good guitar and being used by a good pair of hands it just doesn't matter.

·
Imp Slap
2,033 Posts
I'm seriously wondering how many variations of humbuckers it's possible to make...

When I ordered a custom Starstruck I talked to the guy who makes them what I wanted and paid about $120 for it.
Sure it sounded cool and all, but when I compared it to a couple of other pickups (Razor, EMG, Dimarzio) in the same guitar, it sounded pretty much EXACTLY like a Seymour Duncan Distortion. There was just a tiny bit of detail I prefered with the Starstruck.

And the Distortion has a ceramic magnet, and my Starstruck had an Alnico 8 magnet :spock: so yeah, even with vastly different magnets they still managed to sound and feel pretty much the same.
I honestly don't notice a massive difference between most humbuckers. Yeah, it's there if you listen carefully, but I've found that as soon as I put a pickup in my guitar and play it through my rig, the difference in a mix is negligible.

With the last two bands I was in, I played metal with a Tubescreamer and a 5150, so I definitely get that my rig and EQing squashed most of the character, but I feel like Marty Friendman signature EMGs will be mostly used for metal, so my point is hopefully still a little valid.

In those bands, my main guitar went from an Ibanez RG with an SD Blackout to an LTD Xtone PS-1 (semi-hollow LP style) with the stock LTD pickups, and the difference was so minor it could be EQ'd out with a slight tweak of the amp settings. Playing clean or low gain tones at home I noticed more of a difference, but playing metal in a band, it disappeared.

Ever since then, I've been happy with pretty much any half-decent PAF or medium output humbucker.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts