Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although this isn't exactly a new thing, I did my first solderless EMG install tonight.

The guitar is an LTD EC50 and the pickups were a pair of EMG 60's.

Up to this point, pickup installs was always a soldering affair which, on occasion, meant hunting down a weak solder point.

Other than drilling out the hole for the wires to feed from the control cavity to the jack plate, this just couldn't have gone easier.

I used the existing pickup toggle and the wires leading to it. Everything else came with the wiring kit.

I followed the instructions and in under 30 minutes it was all in and worked perfect.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sweet! Love those 60's, especially in the neck
My first install (Of just an 81 in a LP Jr for fun) took me more than 30 minutes :rofl:

Willing to provide pictures? Sounds like it'll be pretty slick

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Very cool ! ! !
I installed them in a LP for my buddy
Very easy indeed !

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sweet! Love those 60's, especially in the neck
My first install (Of just an 81 in a LP Jr for fun) took me more than 30 minutes :rofl:

Willing to provide pictures? Sounds like it'll be pretty slick
I'll take a few snap shots when I get home. The control cavity is pretty small so it is JAMMED with wires. Anything in particular you want to see?

I had never used the 60's before but they were free... so... hey. haha. Although I need to put new strings on it the guitar in the worst way, first impressions are very good.

I never liked the 85 and always installed 81's in the bridge since the early 90's. It didn't matter how many pickup cavities the guitar had, I was disabling them and just running the one 81. haha. I sucked like that.

I really want to get my hands on a 57/66 set up and an 81. Then I can do some pickup rolling and really see which I dig as a set.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
I've got to say they are the biggest fail ever. EMG can't even come up with a diagram to do VVT configuration with 2 89s and a gibson switch. I've got a set of pickups here I can't even install because of stupid ass weird pots and such.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
I've got to say they are the biggest fail ever. EMG can't even come up with a diagram to do VVT configuration with 2 89s and a gibson switch. I've got a set of pickups here I can't even install because of stupid ass weird pots and such.
When I had MDV fit some EMG's for me, he just unsoldered the PCB's from the pots :shrug:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i can't speak for 89's but I did two 60's with VVT and a Gibson type toggle. What's the difference in what you were trying to do? Honest question. Not trying to be an ass.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
i can't speak for 89's but I did two 60's with VVT and a Gibson type toggle. What's the difference in what you were trying to do? Honest question. Not trying to be an ass.
dunno? none of their diagrams have it and apparently their techs can't figure it out...

they come with the push/pull volume pots

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dunno? none of their diagrams have it and apparently their techs can't figure it out...

they come with the push/pull volume pots
Oh! Ok. I follow. I just looked at the diagram. I actually got some EMGs a few years back for a 3 pickup guitar and, back then, there was not a solderless possibility. They sent me the old, solderable kit for free. Now, the 3 pickup solderless kit is available. In time, your arrangement may be available. Maybe they will send you the solderable kit components as they did for me.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
If i still had my LTD i would snap some pics of the cavity as that had VVT wiring with an 81/60 from the factory. Actually i think most LTDS have this wiring scheme.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts