Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a good deal on a used EMG Retro Actives Super 77 set and installed them in my LTD EC-1000T, replacing an EMG 57/66 set.

For those who don't know, these are conventional passive ceramic humbuckers with an active preamp attached to the bottom. They plug right in to the conventional EMG wiring setup.

So far, I'm impressed. You can still tell they're actives, but there is a massive improvement in dynamics and depth compared to any of the regular EMG pickups. Given the "Super 77" name, my guess is that they're intended to be like a Dimarzio Super Distortion/Super 2 combo, and that might be an apt comparison.

I'd say they're a first choice for anyone who wants to replace an EMG-81 set but doesn't want to rewire for passives.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Had some of these in my beater Jackson. Really liked them at first but they are INCREDIBLY similar to Dimarzio Super Distortions, like you can tell that's exactly what theyve based them on, and I'm so not a fan of that pickup :lol: Very even across the board, fat, high output etc.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm a little surprised these haven't taken off more as a replacement pickup, especially given how ESP insists on putting EMGs in basically everything it makes.

The EMG-81 is iconic, but it's a one-trick pony. I tried to like the 57/66 combo, but they have that same "blanket over the speakers" quality as the 85.

The 77 behaves more like a passive, and it's not super high output. I wouldn't use it to replace passives, but it's good alternative to any EMG or Duncan Blackout.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I had a set of these and while I liked them they just didn't suit the guitar I had them in. They were overly warm.

Would like to try them in another non basswood guitar though

·
Registered
9 Posts
Interesting. My secret weapon for making 81s work in more situations is have the EMG SPC mid boost, although in practice, I still use them only for max attack songs. That's where they want to be.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts