Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about getting a new guitar pretty soon. I'm tossing up the idea of either EMGX series or Duncans. I'm leaning towards the duncans, but the thing is, I wanted to try something different rather than Pickup/Vol/Killswitch.

The thing is, I was considering replacing the tone knob with this. I'm wondering how well it'd work with Blackouts (Ie, a non-EMG design). I'm aware they're for bass, as well, but I cant find anything similar for guitar. I'd like something that actually allows you to EQ the preamp output onboard the instrument (like bass) before hitting the amp with it -- Not just a knob which merely rolls off your high end.

So is there anything similar designed specifically for guitar? And EMGX v. Blackouts? (It is a 7 string, btw).

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Blackouts are my favorite active pickup by far. I owned 8-string BO's in poplar, and I've demo'd plenty of ash or mahogany guitars with 707's, 81-7's, and the X-versions of both of those. Technically 8-string BO's are slightly different than the 6-string and 7-string versions, which are identical to each other. I think you'll simply find them more versatile on the whole, with a really sharp midrange definition that sings.

I can't help you on the EQ knobs.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
The exg is sort of a scoop knob, the spc is like a low mid girthyhood knob, and the... other one i cant remember is like a "MAKE HAS MOAR TREBLE" knob, all actively.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
A parametric midrange EQ setup would be the most useful tone control on a guitar, but I personally think it's too fussy. Bassists (IIRC) mostly use fancy tone controls to accommodate different rooms and different venue-provided amps. For guitar, you'd probably be better off with an EQ pedal or rack unit sitting before the amp input.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A parametric midrange EQ setup would be the most useful tone control on a guitar, but I personally think it's too fussy. Bassists (IIRC) mostly use fancy tone controls to accommodate different rooms and different venue-provided amps. For guitar, you'd probably be better off with an EQ pedal or rack unit sitting before the amp input.
I realize that. This is more for my own satisfaction than any practical purpose though :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts