Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wirelessly posted (Thy Brick of House: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; U; Series60/5.0 Nokia5800d-1/31.0.101; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

Has anybody had experience with both of these and would like to offer up some knowledge? A friend of mine is debating which is best, the clinch is, he needs them in white, and I can't find Blackouts in white over here :(

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
I tried blackouts in a 7 string with mahogany and wasn't a big fan; they are better than EMG's but it really was lacking a lot of the tonal range of a good passive pup.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
I have blackouts in a mahogany guitar and I think they kick fucking ass :lol: different strokes for different folks!

Don't think you can get them in white though... I'm not sure about that. I totally recommend them over EMG's.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
I'm no help, but I've really been meaning to get some EMG-X's for one of my EMG equipped guitars.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
I have both EMGs and Blackouts and personally I prefer the EMGs for rhythm guitar and the Blackouts for lead guitar. Probably because the EMGs have more bass and the Blackouts have more mids. For cleans, I actually prefer the EMGs over the Blackouts, but they both sound great. I don't have EMG-Xs, but I have tried them before (on a six string).

Personally I don't think you could go wrong with either.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've had Blackouts and used EMG's in 7 strings before, but the Blackouts where in basswood and EMG's were in Ash, so I can't really compare them. I'm looking at the 6 string ones (since I don't think they do the X series in 7's yet). I'd seriously prefer SD's but like I said, they're almost impossible to find in white over here :( Which is what lead me to asking about comparisons, since the X series was supposed to rival SD's and they're dead easy to find in white. Thanks for all the help guys :) but I suppose it is gonna come down to personal tastes by trying them out myself seemingly. The guitar in question is gonna be an Ibanez RGT6EXFX. You might see something of it soon :)

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
I have blackouts in a mahogany guitar and I think they kick fucking ass :lol: different strokes for different folks!

Don't think you can get them in white though... I'm not sure about that. I totally recommend them over EMG's.
Yup, you can get them in white. Probably special order, but I got mine on fleabay.

I like them a lot, but they get a bit muddy in low tunings(6 string). Pretty much keeping that guitar in Eb now. :lol:

·
MG.org-er
2,137 Posts
Yup, you can get them in white. Probably special order, but I got mine on fleabay.

I like them a lot, but they get a bit muddy in low tunings(6 string). Pretty much keeping that guitar in Eb now. :lol:
I was considering a set of them for my RG7. I won't bother if they muddy up in the lower register. :(

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was considering a set of them for my RG7. I won't bother if they muddy up in the lower register. :(
He said the 6 string ones ;) I never had problems with the 7 string ones, even as low as F#, I just didn't know what the 6's were like. Blackouts in your RG7 would be killer, especially with that scale length!

·
MG.org-er
2,137 Posts
He said the 6 string ones ;) I never had problems with the 7 string ones, even as low as F#, I just didn't know what the 6's were like. Blackouts in your RG7 would be killer, especially with that scale length!
I assumed that they were voiced in the same way. :wallbash:

Yeah, I did think that they would sound mega punchy in such a guitar. I've also heard that they have plenty of mids, which I like. :wub:

·
Its Nis Pe, bitch!
605 Posts
I've seen people tune down with the Blackout 6s and they can manage to get them sounding pretty clear as opposed to muddy, just gotta know how to tweak, though different strokes as always.

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
The 7 strings ones I had were much clearer, but also were comparing a 25.5" 6 string vs a 26.5" 7 string. :lol:

Seymour Duncan AHB-1 Active Blackouts Set White FreeS&H - eBay (item 190368689398 end time Feb-26-10 09:15:45 PST)

I'm planning on using the white blackouts in a tele build I'm doing - I've used this seller before and the service was very good - it shows he ships to the UK.
Mike is the man! :yesway:

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
I've seen people tune down with the Blackout 6s and they can manage to get them sounding pretty clear as opposed to muddy, just gotta know how to tweak, though different strokes as always.
Just giving my own opinion of them. :lol: One of my basswood/passive guitars sound tighter and clearer tuned to D standard than my Xiphos with the BOs. :eek: I'm just sick of swapping pickups in the Xiphos, so it's easier to just tune it back up to something I know sounds awesome on it. :shrug:

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I assumed that they were voiced in the same way. :wallbash:

Yeah, I did think that they would sound mega punchy in such a guitar. I've also heard that they have plenty of mids, which I like. :wub:
I've already decided that, RGA8 is getting Blackouts and gonna grab a Camo agile 8 when they're out and throw some BKP's or Lundgrens in, that way I have the best of both worlds when it comes to active and passive. Tosh, I cannot understand how basswood/passives would sound clearer than mahogany/actives :lol: Also, I call first dibs on the Xiphos if/when it is sold! That thing is stunning! And you can't get white Xiphos over here either :( I think the UK hates whites (however racist that sounds, it's not :lol:)

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
I've already decided that, RGA8 is getting Blackouts and gonna grab a Camo agile 8 when they're out and throw some BKP's or Lundgrens in, that way I have the best of both worlds when it comes to active and passive. Tosh, I cannot understand how basswood/passives would sound clearer than mahogany/actives :lol: Also, I call first dibs on the Xiphos if/when it is sold! That thing is stunning! And you can't get white Xiphos over here either :( I think the UK hates whites (however racist that sounds, it's not :lol:)
I don't understand it either. :shrug: My old S540 sounded like shit in D to me too... :lol: Of course, could just be that particular pair of guitars.

Xiphos is staying for sure. :p

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't understand it either. :shrug: My old S540 sounded like shit in D to me too... :lol: Of course, could just be that particular pair of guitars.

Xiphos is staying for sure. :p
Damn! :lol: The guitar in questions is probably going in Dropped C#, so I'm uncertain now you said they sounded flubby :(

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
Damn! :lol: The guitar in questions is probably going in Dropped C#, so I'm uncertain now you said they sounded flubby :(
If you were over here, I would say get them and use the exchange if they're not what you want. :(

I was just disappointed in the sound of the guitar all of a sudden, and I knew I loved it before. The only thing that changed was a step up in string guage and a 1/2 step lower in tuning.... They have a lot of low end, and most of my guitars have passive pickups with shit-loads of mids now that I think about it. I could just be out of my mind. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
One of the keys to using Blackouts is adjusting the pickup height. They have *substantially* more output than the equivalent EMGs, and because of that they can be set down a little further from the strings and sound killer. EMGs, of course, need to be set as close to the strings as possible. If you're getting muddiness out of Blackouts, they probably need to come down a little, just like a passive.

Set close to the strings, the Blackouts in my various guitars have almost as much gain into the amp as you'd get using an overdrive pedal.

I'm also curious to read anyone's comments about the EMG-X pickups. There's only one review of them so far at HC.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts