Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Poland CEO / RHLC ©
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of course I don't know if this should be in the guitar section or genarl music discussion ... :ugh:

The 2010 EMG Zakk Wylde contest:

You can win:
·Gibson Zakk Wylde BFG Les Paul Buzzsaw
·A year's supply of Dunlop Signature Zakk Wylde Guitar Strings
·Crybaby Zakk Wylde Signature Wah
·MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive
·MXR Black Label Chorus
·Red Monkey Zakk Wylde Guitar Strap
·Marshall MA50 head + 4x12 Cabinet

I don't know is it's a US only contest... if not I'll definitely make a video(probably more fun than shred) :lol:

Maybe someone will be interested...
:yesway:

·
Head of Agile Gestapo
5,675 Posts
I'll win then sell all of it.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
^ yup.

Also, the requirement that you have to play one of his songs kinda sucks. I can see why they want that, but I don't think that the "best damn shredder in the world" would really showcase his talents with those songs.

Whelp, whoever is making a video better brush up on pentatonic licks and annoyingly ridiculous amounts of wah.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Is there fine print that says only people who play the pentatonic scale have a shot to win?
Hahaha, probably is. If you play the 2nd or 6th scale degree in the minor scale, you are instantly DQ'ed. Maybe you could get away with a #4 for some bluesyness, but definitely not a 2nd or 6th.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Hahaha, probably is. If you play the 2nd or 6th scale degree in the minor scale, you are instantly DQ'ed. Maybe you could get away with a #4 for some bluesyness, but definitely not a 2nd or 6th.
b5 :squint:

:lol: He does occasionally bless us with some Aeolian ranting, but let's be honest, it's easier to wank over a chord progression using the pentatonic and not engaging the think muscle in our ear rack.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
b5 :squint:

:lol: He does occasionally bless us with some Aeolian ranting, but let's be honest, it's easier to wank over a chord progression using the pentatonic and not engaging the think muscle in our ear rack.
Ahhh I always forget if it is labeled b5 or #4. my bad, thanks for getting me learned.:cool:

I don't think I would mind the pentatonic stuff as much if he didn't always go into the classic pentatonic quick pulloff hammer-on licks and then just destroy it with uber-wah.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Ahhh I always forget if it is labeled b5 or #4. my bad, thanks for getting me learned.:cool:

I don't think I would mind the pentatonic stuff as much if he didn't always go into the classic pentatonic quick pulloff hammer-on licks and then just destroy it with uber-wah.
?

Actually dude, I'm pretty sure the #4/b5 debate is non-existent. You could call it as you wish. The minor pentatonic has both the 4th and 5th degrees represented - the "fill-in" note for the devil/blues tone could be either. In the major pentatonic the same functional tone exists between the 2 and 3, but I don't know if I'd call it a #2 or a b3 (probably b3). I just think from a rock guitar perspective it's more common to call that passing tone a b5. :2cents:

Or as Zakk Wylde woulde saye, "Whut?"

EDIT: I think I prefer the "b3" and "b5" nomenclature because the tones serve to darken up the sounds of each scale. The b3 Countrifies and gives a Lynyrd Skynyrd sound to the major; the b5 gives a devilish or sad-sack-of-shit tone to the minor.

·
Poland CEO / RHLC ©
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
And because I couldn't make a normal video ... :lol:

I know I'll not win, but hey :D It's all about the entertainment and having a good time...
At least it's not another "I'm sitting on the couch and playing" type :ugh:

:lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts