Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried that combo and have any comments? I am looking for something for a Blackstar ID:60 head as well as a Blackstar HT-40, for now, and possibly something else in the future. I play mostly 80's and 90's rock, such as GNR, Motley Crue, Poison, Stone Temple Pilots, some Skynyrd. Does that speaker combo sound appropriate for the above, or would you guys have better recommendations. I really don't have any preference between brands, but would like something that comes stock in Avatar cabs. Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I do a Eminence Swamp Thang and Black Powder combo in a 4x12 that is very versatile. But, I think the really high wattage and bass response on the Swamp Thang might be a bit much for a 2x12. Could sound too 'woofy' if you catch my drift.
In my Mesa Recto 2x12 I run a WGS (wgs4.com) Veteran 30 and ET65 combination that might get you closer to that 80s-90s rock vibe though.

One could say I have a preference for American made speakers. Not only do I find their build quality to be significantly higher than the chinese made things that Celestian is slapping their stickers on, but they also cost less. WGS is great because you are dealing directly with them. Give them a shout, and I bet they will steer you in the right direction.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I am really trying to stick to speakers that I can get stock in the Avatar cab. I think that the Eminence they have are governor, Private jack, swamp thang, and Wizard. They also have a ton of Celestions.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
My experience with Eminence in my Avatar Vintage 2x12:

• Swamp Thangs - All lows and some highs. Avoid.
  • Governors - A very awesome speaker. Sounds like a V30 without the "spike".
  • Wizards - Awesome. Lots of clarity in the mids, healthy lows, controlled highs.

Currently, I've got the Wizards installed. I run it with my Mesa Stiletto, which is a well-known BRIGHT amp. V30's were just too forgiving on the highs, so I went to the Wizard, and all has been right with the world. Rock tones galore.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Eminence recommended the Governor / Wizard combo. As long as that would have enough low end and thickness, maybe that is what I will go with.

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
The sum of my useful experience with eminence is:

Swamp thangs don't work on their own. At all. Ever.

I've heard cabs with I think legends combined with STs that sounded good, but I haven't heard the other speaker in the pair on its own so don't *really* know whats going on in there, and I've mixed STs with V30s myself with modest success (though I prefer all V30 or V30/T75 combo).

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
The Swamp Thang pairs well with mid heavy speakers, by themselves they're a bit overly dark. I like mine paired with the Tonespotter I have with it, but I did run 2 STs in the past(admittedly, the amp I had was bright as fuck). ;)

Really, if you're after 80's tones I would go for more British voiced speakers, like Emi recommends.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I've been eyeing some 4x12 cabs with the plan to put in Govs/Wizs in an X pattern.

Also, I heard two GREAT new speakers they are putting out (at Sweetwater's GearFest), the CV-75 and the... the somethingerother. Can't think of what the other was called... something with like ~200W rating. Sounded huge and clear (not a lot of mids, but enough to have a nice flavor).

I think the CV-75 is a bit closer to the V30 than the Governor.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts

I've heard cabs with I think legends combined with STs that sounded good, but I haven't heard the other speaker in the pair on its own so don't *really* know whats going on in there, and I've mixed STs with V30s myself with modest success (though I prefer all V30 or V30/T75 combo).
My Zilla has the Swamp Thang/Legend combo, Tony's Roadkill has 2x Legends. So you've heard both!

·
Registered
2,039 Posts

You have. My cab has a pair of Legends.

My personal experience with the ST left a lot to be desireed. It was almost as bad as using a TSL actually thinking about it they kinda add a TSL vibe to any amp.

Edit: Anton beat me to it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Swamp Thang pairs well with mid heavy speakers, by themselves they're a bit overly dark. I like mine paired with the Tonespotter I have with it, but I did run 2 STs in the past(admittedly, the amp I had was bright as fuck). ;)

Really, if you're after 80's tones I would go for more British voiced speakers, like Emi recommends.
I've been listening to the Swamp Thang/Texas Heat combo, and am considering it, as well. I am really looking for something versatile, that sounds good clean and distorted, more than I am strictly looking for an 80s tone.

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
Some of you guys are crazy. The swamp thangs are fucking crazy awesome speakers. I'v been pairing some with v30's and the punch in the stomach the ST's give to the cut of the V30 is perfect.

On their own, swamp thangs are still pretty good IMO.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The Swamp Thangs just need wattage and airspace to get over that excessive darkness. Kind of like the opposite of a V30, which I find annoying until they are pushed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts