Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Verizon iPhone review -- Engadget

Looks good!
Calls were consistently connected and uninterrupted, far more often than our AT&T calls
But wait!

There are a few things you'll need to know about how the Verizon iPhone handles calls differently from AT&T. Firstly, you can't do 3G data and voice at the same time (but you knew this, Engadget reader!). We didn't find ourselves missing the feature very much, and you're still able to send text messages (and receive them) while on the phone. We're not saying you don't or won't need the functionality, just that it didn't sting too much to see it go (though admittedly, we were on WiFi quite a bit of the time). When using data on 3G, calls take precedent, but if you're in Verizon's 2G territory and using data, your call will go to voicemail. Another thing to consider is how Verizon's network handles multiple calls. You can add up to two people to a call, but after that, everyone gets shot to voicemail, unlike the AT&T phone, where the numbers go way beyond that.

A bigger issue may be that while using the Personal Hotspot feature (more on this in a minute), your calls will kill your connection. That means that if you're loading a page on your computer tethered to your phone and you get a call, the page stops loading and doesn't resume until the call stops ringing, or you hang up. It's a seamless transition, but still a bit jarring. If you're a busy person who is going to rely on this feature for connectivity and rely on the iPhone for important calls, this could be a serious issue.
Oh noes!

It gets worse!
Let's put this as simply as we can: data rates on the Verizon iPhone 4 we tested were dramatically slower than those on its AT&T counterpart. How much slower? Well, even though network speeds fluctuate based on many factors, we didn't see the Verizon device peak much beyond 1.4 Mbps on downloads (and even that high was rare), and it barely hit 0.5 Mbps on upstream. On the other hand, the AT&T device regularly pulled down above 3 Mbps, and 1 Mbps or more going up. We'll admit that the Verizon speeds were more consistent, but the irrefutable fact is that AT&T's network is much, much faster, at least in our neck of the woods.
LETS SEE WHERE THIS THREAD GOES SHALL WE!? :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Network speed is all relative to location.

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
Up here, my carrier went from CDMA to HSPA at the end of '09. I went from a CDMA Palm Pre, to a Blackberry 9700.

The fact that I can use data and talk at the same time is nice to have, but I've only used it maaaybe twice in the year that I've been using the 9700.

Speed wise, the only problem I had on CDMA that I don't have on HSPA is streaming music. It would always need to buffer on my Pre, but would run flawlessly on my blackberry.

I'm not saying my regular browsing speeds on the Pre were fast, just not slow enough to warrant complaining about.

I don't think those who have bad AT&T reception are going to complain too much about slower network data speeds on Verizon, and I'm sure they'll learn to live with the fact that calls will interrupt their data sessions.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Droid Bionic solves those pesky network problems :agreed: Even solves the calling and data problem if you're on LTE!

:sharpie:

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
:agreed:

The network speed thing should be taken with a grain of salt. AT&T's data when I had an iPhone was useless in Northern Virginia where I work. It was either slow or didn't work at all. Verizon is the winner in my area as far as that goes.

Also.....it's a damned phone...how fast do you need it to be to download tiny ass mobile webpages or an app every now and then?

The only thing I would really worry about is streaming music to my phone using AudioGalaxy....however, I have a Droid on Verizon right now and it works fine.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Are AT&T not a bunch of colossal cunts though? I thought that was why everyone was excited about it?
Their service really sucked in my area. I don't know about them being cunts, but their network didn't handle the iPhone very well, and when I had my iPhone 3G it was horrible.

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
Droid Bionic solves those pesky network problems :agreed: Even solves the calling and data problem if you're on LTE!

A better android fanboy comback would be to say that the HTC ThunderBolt solves the problem; since the HTC allows simultaneous voice & data on the 3G network.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
AT&T are pretty much a giant bag of dicks with horrible reception and tons of dropped calls.

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
Pretty much everything from Nokia, HTC, and RIM are rehashes when it comes to hardware.

When it comes to Android, HTC seems to be the slowest to evolve their hardware.

Nevertheless, Simultaneous voice & data on 3G. :lol:

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Pretty much everything from Nokia, HTC, and RIM are rehashes when it comes to hardware.

When it comes to Android, HTC seems to be the slowest to evolve their hardware.

Nevertheless, Simultaneous voice & data on 3G. :lol:
Nevertheless, don't care :lol:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Verizon iPhone review -- Engadget

Looks good!

But wait!

Oh noes!

It gets worse!

LETS SEE WHERE THIS THREAD GOES SHALL WE!? :lol:
I already knew all that. CDMA sucks.

Absolutely. I fucking hate Verizon, I get dropped calls all the time, and the data speeds are terrible. I can't even make a damn phone call in my house unless it's over wifi with Skype. AT&T, on the other hand, is great everywhere I go. Hence why I'm still liking the AT&T iPhone better.

Yeah, if you have LTE in your area.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
I already knew all that. CDMA sucks.

Absolutely. I fucking hate Verizon, I get dropped calls all the time, and the data speeds are terrible. I can't even make a damn phone call in my house unless it's over wifi with Skype. AT&T, on the other hand, is great everywhere I go. Hence why I'm still liking the AT&T iPhone better.

Yeah, if you have LTE in your area.
I do! :sharpie:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Good for you. I can't even get good 3G service from Verizon, much less LTE.
Like someone said up top man, it's all location dependant. I don't doubt that overall, AT&T is faster, but in my area Verizon is the undisputed king for call quality/consistency, "number of bars" and data speed.

My friends in Chicago love Sprint. Sprint is an absolute joke here. So it goes.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Like someone said up top man, it's all location dependant. I don't doubt that overall, AT&T is faster, but in my area Verizon is the undisputed king for call quality/consistency, "number of bars" and data speed.

My friends in Chicago love Sprint. Sprint is an absolute joke here. So it goes.
Yeah, I've said that. Multiple times.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
AT&T does not exist at my mother's house. Just a black hole. Verizon is pretty much the way to go in Vermont, sadly... otherwise you might end up accidentally roaming on a Canadian tower with shit signal.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts