Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I won this plugin from a review website awhile ago and decided to crack it open again. Its pretty damn good. Just keep in mind my ears suck and I like really scooped tones.

**Edit** redid the mix as it sounded like shit

New vid with more pre amp mids

Old vid

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Even in the realm of software, the front panel is still mish-mashed together :lol:

That was pretty awesome! Makes me want to work on my E530 preamp tone. I had it pretty dialed in, up until I tore apart my rig to get the Fractal IIXL working well :lol:

Is it Savage based? Sounds kinda Powerball-y, based on my limited experience (Powerball model in the IIXL, real E530 and real Thunder 50), but that may be due to your scoopiness!

Also... that kick drum has GOT to go :wub:

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Even in the realm of software, the front panel is still mish-mashed together :lol:

That was pretty awesome! Makes me want to work on my E530 preamp tone. I had it pretty dialed in, up until I tore apart my rig to get the Fractal IIXL working well :lol:

Is it Savage based? Sounds kinda Powerball-y, based on my limited experience (Powerball model in the IIXL, real E530 and real Thunder 50), but that may be due to your scoopiness!

Also... that kick drum has GOT to go :wub:
I have no idea what its based on. Its scooped and shitty sounding, just the way I like it!

Yeah, the kick is way to clicky. I was lazy and setup a kit on SSD 5.5, put on a couple of Waves SSL channels, used the presets and did not adjust. Hence why it sounds like absolute garbage.

·
ya boi
ESP, Kemper, Marshall
946 Posts
It's based on Victor Smolski head. Never played it or the plugin, but that clip sounds good. I also like really scooped tones too though.

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I redid the mix on the drums as the levels were all over the place. What do you think Leon?

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Cut and print, that's awesome!

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Thanks dude! All I have to do is to convince myself to write and record a full song. I should hop on the 7DT SOTM thread
I've got a few started, but I've stalled in the last few months :erk:

Actually, the Ola Riff Challenge gets me going and off my ass writing :)

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
It's based on Victor Smolski head. Never played it or the plugin, but that clip sounds good. I also like really scooped tones too though.
Sure enough... I just had to google E646 :lol:

Also...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wanted to like that sim but it seemed way too quiet compared to other sims. I have no idea what that was about. It sounded good though. All of the Brainworx sims are great. If the volume issue was fixed I'd be all over it.

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wanted to like that sim but it seemed way too quiet compared to other sims. I have no idea what that was about. It sounded good though. All of the Brainworx sims are great. If the volume issue was fixed I'd be all over it.
Yeah I understand what you mean. Its missing mids which gives off a lower quiet vibe. I changed the Middle Voiced knob to add some mids back.
Blue is the previous frequency response, yellow is the new frequency response with the middle voice turned up. Does this sound better? Thanks for the input man!

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
The UA/Brainworx stuff is all sick, I own a few. All "officially licensed" too. Mainly use the JCM 800 one.

I don't use the preamp sections, I use my own physical guitar preamps and use the "preamp defeat" switch on the interface.

Of course, the JCM 800 one doesn't have that unfortunately, since it's a faithful replica of an early one before they came with loops, so you have to do a preamp into the low input, which is actually what a lot of guys who only use the JCM 800 power section have done over the years if they don't have a loop modded in.

There's less circuitry inside than anything modern, so there isn't that much between your outboard pre and the power section anyways. The earlier the guitar amp, the less there is going on in the preamp section. And the UA/Brainworx one is based on an early one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah I understand what you mean. Its missing mids which gives off a lower quiet vibe. I changed the Middle Voiced knob to add some mids back.
Blue is the previous frequency response, yellow is the new frequency response with the middle voice turned up. Does this sound better? Thanks for the input man!
That there is the good shit

1 - 15 of 15 Posts