·
Nine EMG Guitars
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a powerball 2 today any opinions would be nice

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Well, since you own it, you'd be the best person to give us some man. :lol: How do you like it?

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
If you just bought one I'm not sure why you'd want our opinions now :lol:

Did you want recommended settings?

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Edit: sniped by a collosal douche :(

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I didn't like the Powerball I. No experience with the II.

Echoing the sentiments above, shouldn't you be telling us how it is if you bought one?

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
Shows what I've been paying attention to, there's a powerball 2? Awesome. Is Burt Reynolds starring in it? Dom Deluise?

Oh that's Cannonball 2, my bad. :vince:

POST A REVIEW. DON'T BUT AMP THEN ASK FOR REVIEW, GIVE REVIEW. :agreed:

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
Maybe he's asking for tips on how to get good sounds out of it?

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Had the PB I. Did not get on with it at all, I have an uberschall that's replaced it. Have happy pants now.

·
Nine EMG Guitars
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sorry i ordered it havent got it yet i was just seeing what you guys thought of it i can always return it lol got rid of my randall v2 arcetype to get it hope it was a good choice lol

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
im considering one of these myself but im leaning towards an invader or savage.

obviously the lesser cost is one of the beneifits of the powerball II!

id like to hear anyones thoughts on it that has one.

·
Nine EMG Guitars
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is good to hear cuz I was worried I hope I like it better cuz it was not cheap

·
Argh
2,658 Posts
Well apparently the new Fireball and Powerball models are a big step up from their predecessors, so if that is the case I'd expect it to be pretty nice. Of course it also depends on what type of music you play?
Nice score anyways.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Now to upgrade to full sentences with punctuation and all the bells and whistles!

Seanbabs owned and loved a Powerball for a long time, but I don't know which version. I'm sure he'll chime in.

It's supposed to be a great amp, dude. I like the Powerball model in my Axe-Fx. It's sort of "solid statish" in that it's very crisp and dry and punchy, and it's sort of "on or off" - I don't have great luck getting it to be sweet and sassy with the volume knob. I think because of this, it's not regarded as being super versatile, and thus it's kind of a love-it-or-hate-it amp.

·
Nine EMG Guitars
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i play all forms of heavy metal from metallica to trivium i had a 6506 and mesa cab wasnt tight enough and to honky then got dual rec and liked it for awile but to chainsawy the the randall was a great amp but it never got me all the way to the sound in my head and when i hear engls on the net some samples sound really good like the premier guitar magazine Monsters of high gain shoot out on there website it sounded awesome

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Now to upgrade to full sentences with punctuation and all the bells and whistles!

Seanbabs owned and loved a Powerball for a long time, but I don't know which version. I'm sure he'll chime in.

It's supposed to be a great amp, dude. I like the Powerball model in my Axe-Fx. It's sort of "solid statish" in that it's very crisp and dry and punchy, and it's sort of "on or off" - I don't have great luck getting it to be sweet and sassy with the volume knob. I think because of this, it's not regarded as being super versatile, and thus it's kind of a love-it-or-hate-it amp.
Ryan is right, it does have a bit of a solid-statish feel too it, but holy hell if it isn't great for rhythm tones! I loved my Powerball, it was a great amp. Don't ever turn the gain up past 12 o'clock and it will sound great!

It isn't the most versatile amp, because it doesn't have that big tube "swell" that maybe a mesa had. To me, that isn't desirable for fast trashy rhythms or tremolo picks melodies. The powerball is very clear for those.

The lead 2 channel boosts the mids a bit for a bit of a 'fuller' sound, but this is where I ran into trouble with the amp. I wanted that Petrucci-esque lead tone, and the powerball just doesn't have that kind of tube dynamics. You can get pretty close by layering chorus, reverb, and delay wisely. Just as a reference, Scale the Summit used a Powerball for their first two albums (they just recently switched to Mesa). They had some pretty creamy tones, so make sure you have something like a GMajor effects unit if you want that kind of tone.

However, if you are trying to go for more of a Nevermore lead tone, you won't be too far off.

I think the Powerball II has separate EQ for the Lead I and Lead II, which is very important.
I found that when I dialed in my Lead I rhythm tone to the the tightest rhythm tone I have ever heard, the lead got a bit brittle and harsh. I think this matter was addressed in the Powerball II.

p.s. It is really hard for me to read your posts when there is no punctuation. It is hard to tell where one thought ends and the next begins, you know? :p

·
Nine EMG Guitars
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
cool. Thanks for all the input and sometimes i type from my phone real fast, ill try to do better with the punctuation. lol
and BTW does anyone know where i should set the effects loop wet dry signal knob, im running a isp decimator prorack g and bbe sonic maxizer i might not need the bbe but love my isp, so do i set it in the middle blended or all the way to wet, or dry ???? thanks

1 - 20 of 41 Posts