Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
glass enthusiast
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yo, dunno if anyone here is into them but uh yeah, Epica have released a single from their next album and I'm liking the new direction they're taking. IMO, they're getting far more Metal and taking a heavier approach in general, now being more like a Metal band with an orchestra backing than vice versa.
They're also doing something new thematically, with more futuristic stuff, which is surprising since I'm more used to them talking about philosophical or political topics.

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
This is garbage.:yesway:

·
Denim and metal
44 Posts
This is garbage.:yesway:
That's a bit harsh. Mind you, I had to turn it off after 2 minutes. It seems awfully unoriginal...Nightwish were doing this 15 years ago (and I didn't like them much, either). The lyrics seem forced, as if written by someone with English as a second language has watched too many Game of Thrones episodes.

Nonetheless, I can see how people would like it. It has energy, orchestral flair and opera singing. I cannot see how I would like it, though.

·
Banned
835 Posts
The style is fine, and the song is fine, but the band has that problem most female-fronted metal bands have - weak vocals. Just because you can sing high and cut through a metal mix, doesn't mean you sound interesting, and you still need to get some grit and personality on there. She just sounds bland. Singers are supposed to get you pumped up about the music, and most female metal singers completely forget about that.

·
glass enthusiast
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He's not allowed to think this is garbage, then?
No, I'm absolutely for people having different opinions on everything, that's all cool, but if I think a way of expressing an opinion is a bit arsey, I'll say it. I'm not telling people what they can and can't say, I will critique though.
The style is fine, and the song is fine, but the band has that problem most female-fronted metal bands have - weak vocals. Just because you can sing high and cut through a metal mix, doesn't mean you sound interesting, and you still need to get some grit and personality on there. She just sounds bland. Singers are supposed to get you pumped up about the music, and most female metal singers completely forget about that.
Yeah that's fair enough, it does feel a bit weird having such 'pretty' vocals over the heavy riffs but it's a combination I oddly like. Each to their own of course.

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts

:yesway:

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
Reactions: Venator

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Theres a saying:

-If you have nothing nice to say then don't speak at all (or something like this)

Which I find is total rubbish :)

I think what the OP wanted to say was, at least say why you dont like it instead of saying its Garbage. We (all of us) tend to just use monosyllables describing something we dont like... its easier takes less effort but it can sound harsh to other. I personally think KISS is one of me most shittiest bands to ever existed but most of the times I have to say:

- They dont cater my attention in any form because I find them lacking in everything... but saying They are a piece of shit its fastest and more practical :D

About Epica... not my type and full of cliches but I was never into this all Epic Foiled dressed/Gothics female singers with keyboards and orchestration, but others might think they are amazing :)

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
Theres a saying:

-If you have nothing nice to say then don't speak at all (or something like this)

Which I find is total rubbish :)

I think what the OP wanted to say was, at least say why you dont like it instead of saying its Garbage. We (all of us) tend to just use monosyllables describing something we dont like... its easier takes less effort but it can sound harsh to other. I personally think KISS is one of me most shittiest bands to ever existed but most of the times I have to say:

- They dont cater my attention in any form because I find them lacking in everything... but saying They are a piece of shit its fastest and more practical :D

About Epica... not my type and full of cliches but I was never into this all Epic Foiled dressed/Gothics female singers with keyboards and orchestration, but others might think they are amazing :)
Why do I need to explain in detail why I feel it's garbage? If I eloquently explain why it's garbage to me is it going to change your opinion? That song OP posted is bland, boring, and lifeless. To me just shitty music all around. Also when I don't have something nice to say is when I tend to speak the most, I am an old miserable cunt.....what am I gonna do? :shrug:

Let me help this thread.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
You dont have to explain anything but theres a diference in :

Its Shit to I think its Shit

Also I dont care about Epica and I share your opinion although they are better musicians than I will ever be so... :D

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
As hot as Simone Simons is, I've always personally found Epica's music to be boring, bland, lifeless, and pretentious (but not the kind of pretentious that I personally like). And, saying that, I'm not against female vocals over heavy music. There are quite a few examples of that I do like, but Epica is not one of them.

On the other hand, I don't think it's Garbage. That's one of the worst bands of the 90s that I can remember. :D

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
On the other hand, I don't think it's Garbage. That's one of the worst bands of the 90s that I can remember. :D
I'm not a garbage fan, I think you missed my point. ;)

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
I'm not a garbage fan, I think you missed my point. ;)
Flexkill, you may think Epica is Garbage, but I don't think they're nearly THAT bad.

(And I think you misread what I said if you think that I thought that you're a Garbage fan)

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
Flexkill, you may think Epica is Garbage, but I don't think they're nearly THAT bad.

(And I think you misread what I said if you think that I thought that you're a Garbage fan)
Ohhhhhh, my bad.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
There are plenty of powerful female singers who can do all of that, but they make actual money by singing pop music or being in Broadway productions etc. rather than doing metal. Floor Jansen is a notable exception.

Epica has been really limited in this regard, in that Simone has a very pretty voice, but not a powerful one. Their earlier material was much more "beauty and the beast", with Mark Jansen doing a lot of growling and Simone not singing as much. Since I hate growling, I'd much rather hear Simone sing, but you can hear even in this song how the band backs off a bit during her parts (which sound fairly processed here).

That said, I like this more than most of the Epica songs I've heard, and I do own a couple of their early albums. The reduced orchestration is an improvement. I wish Nightwish would take a cue from this for their next album, since Floor Jansen doesn't need a big orchestra around her to sound amazing.

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
I like this song more than most of Epica's catalog I've heard. Not bad. :yesway:

Off Topic: Nightwish just needs to let Floor write within the band as well. After Forever had some great moments.
They only have the greatest female singer in the world. IMHO. Now just get Russell Allen, Jorn Lande, or Oliver Hartmann and they'll have Beauty & The Beast Live.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts