Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Read Only
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Long story short, I bought a 30$ Danelectro EQ Pedal a while back to see if it'd be something I'd use. After *regular* use, the plastic little shithead cracked and broke off in a few places, and the pedal itself is hardly working. Doesn't always turn on, or stay on for that matter.

I figure a pedal that cheap is really not worth the trouble of having someone fix (and get a metal case for in any matter), so I'm looking for ideas on a new one.

My requirements are this:

Sturdy (i.e. not a plastic piece of horseshit)
100$ or less

Thanks!

P.S. It's being used as a solo boost - if there's anything else that might work as well that isn't necessarily an EQ pedal, I'm all ears.

·
SPEEEEED HOOOOLES!!!
1,075 Posts
well if you want to chenge your EQ for solos, like adding more mids, than a small graphic EQ works. If you just want louder, a simple boost pedal like the MXR Micro Amp, MXR booster/linedriver, or a variety of other single knob "make shit louder" pedals will work too.

MXR makes a 6 band EQ. It's fairly small, and it would make a good mid boost. There's also the 10 band EQ which sells for about $100 used, and has 10 band of EQ plus it's own volume and gain sliders. I have one, and once I get my rig re-cabled I'll be attempting to use it as my solo boost instead of getting a "make shit louder" pedal.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Make shut louder pedal = volume pedal :lol:

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
If you're going to get an EQ pedal, use a Parametric EQ and sound awesome :yesway:

·
SPEEEEED HOOOOLES!!!
1,075 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Make shut louder pedal = volume pedal :lol:
WRONG! A volume pedal can only be as loud as your guitar signal, and will only make you quieter from there. It works just like the volume on your guitar. A boost can (and will) make you louder.

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
I've had a Danalectro Fish'n'Chips EQ in my loop for what.... 4 years now? The pedal is still mint... :lol:

It's not a pedal I step on : I just leave it on the top of my head and I just turn it on or off depending on my mood. Danalectro pedals are not tough enough for beeing "floor" pedals. As far as cheap EQ goes, it does the job quite nicely IMO... And it's really not something I'd use as a volume boost. It's just to shape my tone a bit more.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
WRONG! A volume pedal can only be as loud as your guitar signal, and will only make you quieter from there. It works just like the volume on your guitar. A boost can (and will) make you louder.
Yes and no. If you are using high gain sounds (like most of us do, natch) I recommend using a volume pedal or anything with a level control where you can lower the output. The guy has a Mk. III - hardly a quiet amp, and I bet he never runs it at full chat. I would set it up so that his solo sound (effects, volume etc.) are set as loud as the amp needs to be, then use a pedal to reduce that volume for the rest of the time. So for a solo he turns off the pedal to bring the signal up.

That way you avoid saturation and mush, since adding more volume to the input of an already high gain amp does not make it appreciably louder, it just gets more gainy and squishy and saturated.

:shrug: Works for me, and I think it was Josh who tried this out recently and it worked well for him.

·
EFILNIKUFESIN
1,657 Posts
MXR 6 band or Maxon 6 band will do the job. I find the Boss 6 band too noisy.
You can also youse an MXR microamp as stated before, but having an EQ is always more convenient, especially live.
I have the 10 band MXR and it slays. Maybe a used one can make you happy.

·
SPEEEEED HOOOOLES!!!
1,075 Posts
Yes and no. If you are using high gain sounds (like most of us do, natch) I recommend using a volume pedal or anything with a level control where you can lower the output. The guy has a Mk. III - hardly a quiet amp, and I bet he never runs it at full chat. I would set it up so that his solo sound (effects, volume etc.) are set as loud as the amp needs to be, then use a pedal to reduce that volume for the rest of the time. So for a solo he turns off the pedal to bring the signal up.

That way you avoid saturation and mush, since adding more volume to the input of an already high gain amp does not make it appreciably louder, it just gets more gainy and squishy and saturated.

:shrug: Works for me, and I think it was Josh who tried this out recently and it worked well for him.
Interesting Idea. I was thinking more like putting the boost in the loop. Typically, you'd run a volume pedal out front, no? IIRC the g-system boost works the same way you described. Attenuating the signal at all times, then when you want a boost, it gives you your true level back. Though it seems that about 98% of g-system users (including myself) find the attenuation to be detrimental to the tone of their amps, and thus the boost function is never used. Maybe TC will fix that some day.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Interesting Idea. I was thinking more like putting the boost in the loop. Typically, you'd run a volume pedal out front, no? IIRC the g-system boost works the same way you described. Attenuating the signal at all times, then when you want a boost, it gives you your true level back. Though it seems that about 98% of g-system users (including myself) find the attenuation to be detrimental to the tone of their amps, and thus the boost function is never used. Maybe TC will fix that some day.
I've done both ways. For rhythm, I like using a TS7 set with a little extra drive (like around 9 o'clock and the output level a little lower than the unboosted lead sound. This tightens and crunches up the rhythm nicely, while keeping it at a lower level than my lead sound. Then I turn off the pedal, and the lows come back for a more open singing lead tone.

I also have an MXR/CAE line driver in my loop (leftmost pedal) that I have set to give a +4dB kick if I really need something loud, basically working like turning up the master volume a hair. It helps offset the volume drop from the DL4, too.

·
Read Only
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well if you want to chenge your EQ for solos, like adding more mids, than a small graphic EQ works. If you just want louder, a simple boost pedal like the MXR Micro Amp, MXR booster/linedriver, or a variety of other single knob "make shit louder" pedals will work too.

MXR makes a 6 band EQ. It's fairly small, and it would make a good mid boost. There's also the 10 band EQ which sells for about $100 used, and has 10 band of EQ plus it's own volume and gain sliders. I have one, and once I get my rig re-cabled I'll be attempting to use it as my solo boost instead of getting a "make shit louder" pedal.
The MXR looks nice, but alas doesn't have a level control. I found that really useful with the one I have. I generally boost the lowest slider, the mids, cut the highest frequency a little, and then up the volume some. It's worked really well for me so far.

I've had a Danalectro Fish'n'Chips EQ in my loop for what.... 4 years now? The pedal is still mint... :lol:

It's not a pedal I step on : I just leave it on the top of my head and I just turn it on or off depending on my mood. Danalectro pedals are not tough enough for beeing "floor" pedals. As far as cheap EQ goes, it does the job quite nicely IMO... And it's really not something I'd use as a volume boost. It's just to shape my tone a bit more.
That's what I was using, actually haha. Like I said, I bought it to see if it'd ever be useful for me, and I've been using it ever since. Now it's time for something else.

Also, as far as the volume pedal thing goes - it's no secret that Mark III is really fucking loud. I barely ever get to bring it above 2.25 on the master. That idea really isn't a bad one - but as far as I know, I'd still need a graphic EQ as well to shape the tone from the get-go.

Thanks so far, guys!

·
El Kabong
5,037 Posts
Boss and MXR seem to be the de facto EQ pedal choices. In what way are you trying to shape your tone for solos? A Tubescreamer or similar would work well for adding some extra presence and cut for solos, as I think that's what they were originally designed to do.

·
Read Only
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Boss and MXR seem to be the de facto EQ pedal choices. In what way are you trying to shape your tone for solos? A Tubescreamer or similar would work well for adding some extra presence and cut for solos, as I think that's what they were originally designed to do.
I basically try to get a mid boost. I really like upping the lowest slider to get a little more sag, and cutting the highest slider a little to get rid of the sharpness to it. It works really well for me that way. With that being said, I do raise the volume a little using the pedal as well.

As far as a TS goes, that doesn't really sound like what I want. The Mark III is already really bright and open as it is, so I think the effect of that would either be really minimal, or just way too ice picky. Then again, I haven't actually tried a TS in that manner, so it's quite possible that may work. I'll keep it in mind for sure.

EDIT: I'm looking at the MXR 10 band EQ, and I'm honestly not sure why they have a "Volume" and a "Gain" slider. How do they differ from eachother in this case?
EDITagain: Just answered my own question, nevermind. Input gain and Output volume. It's late.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
A Tubescreamer is basically a boost. It won't give you a kick in the lows like your EQ can, but it's a one-button solution for "tightness" and a bit more compression/kick.

·
Read Only
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A Tubescreamer is basically a boost. It won't give you a kick in the lows like your EQ can, but it's a one-button solution for "tightness" and a bit more compression/kick.
Right, that's not so much what I'm looking for.

I think the MXR 10 band is looking like the way to go. Thanks, guys!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts