Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help me out here.

I have a laptop with a Sprint EVDO card, a Wifi router, and an HTC handheld. I'm trying to get the HTC to connect through the web through the laptop, which is running Windows XP.

Setup:

HTC -- wifi -->Wifi Router -- cable --> Laptop --> EVDO Card --> InterWeb

• The Wifi router is in AP only mode.
  • The HTC gets an IP from the router of 192.168.2.2
  • The Wifi router is 2.254
  • The laptop gets an IP of 2.3
  • The EVDO card on Sprint gets a normal routable address

I have the EVDO connection shared, and using the NC wizard, picked the LAN port on the laptop as the inbound point. The laptop can connect to the web fine through the EVDO card, but the HTC is not happy. I can ping the laptop from the HTC, so the path through the router seems to be good, but when I get a DHCP address it's serving me a default gateway of the router instead of the LAN port on the laptop.

I'm going to have a few devices connecting via the same way, so I'd rather not statically assign IP/gateways to everything, but that's what I'm going to try next.

What am I missing? :scratch:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
:lol: Well, GG Windows, enabling ICS totally shit all over my EVDO card. Now it doesn't connect at all.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nobody cares but... :lol:

On Windows Mobile: I can't seem to find where I can set a static IP for wireless connections, so I can't set the default GW on the HTC.

On this shitbag router: There's no way to set DHCP default gateways to anything but the IP of the router.

Fuuuuuuuuuuck. :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Totally talking to myself.

To setup static IP on WinMO HTC:

. Touch Start > Settings > Wireless Controls and Turn wi-fi on
2. Select your wireless network and enter your password or key
3. Once you are connected (green check), touch Advanced > Change Network (under the ssid) you will see your wireless connection again and it should say connected
4. touch the wireless adapters tab at the bottom. Here at the top select my network card connects to The Internet and select your wireless adapter from the list below.
5. set your static IP address and Name Server info. Touch OK and then return to the home screen
At this point you should have the wi-fi icon with two solid arrows next to your 3g icon.
6. Touch Start > Settings > menu > all settings > connections > connections > advanced tab > Select Networks.
7, change both drop downs to my isp (may be different if you named it something different)
So I've got:

192.168.2.100 -> Laptop w/shared EVDO
192.168.2.1 -> WIfi router as AP
192.168.2.200 -> HTC

I can ping the HTC from the laptop, and the HTC's default gateway is set to 2.100, but still no joy on internet connection. :(

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
your networking skillz are miles beyond mine so im of no help but its is an entertaining read :lol:

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
Don't slap me for not knowing wtf i'm talking about (I know much more about the cellular aspect of this problem than the networking) but do you have DHCP turned on or off in the router setup? Should be off if you only want to use it as an AP, no?

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's off - I'm pretty sure it's always off in AP mode.

Right now:

Laptop EVDO: 63.x.x.x (routable address)
Laptop NIC: 192.168.2.100
--wired to
---WIFI Router: 192.168.2.1
----over the air to
-----HTC HD2 192.168.2.200

I can ping both ways from everything, just can't get to the web from the HTC, with a default gateway of 2.100. It can't ping the 63.x address, which I think is how ICS is supposed to work anyway - windows does the bridging between my 192.x and the 63.x

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fuck it. Just get an iPhone, iMac, and iRouter and be done with it.
I would, but this shit is for iWork and none of it is iMine, and I'm sending it back to the iCoastguard in a couple of iMonths. It's to fix iBP's stupid ass iOilSpill, so I unfortunately have to use this stuff. :(

·
Banned
2,695 Posts
Chris, you are on the right track but you have the wrong device in this config serving DHCP. (The router)

If this is a setup you will use often, and for many devices, I suggest you please spend 50 fucking dollars on ebay on any of the 15 FUCKING MILLION OTHER DEVICES THAT CAN SERVE DHCP with fully configuable/assignable gateways.

I do give you points for correctly troubleshooting this, however.

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
2/3rds of the solution to the Oil Spill lies with Windows consumer software...?

God, help the turtles. :(

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
You could just swap your EVDO card for a Mifi from Sprint. Even this whole set up attempt aside, a Mifi is just much simpler and portable if all you need is a hotspot for the HTC.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You could just swap your EVDO card for a Mifi from Sprint. Even this whole set up attempt aside, a Mifi is just much simpler and portable if all you need is a hotspot for the HTC.
See above. I know how I would do this if it was my gear. It's not. It's the Coast Guard's stuff. I have to use their shit, dude, otherwise anything I buy on my own dime I have to graciously donate to them at the end. :lol:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts