Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I'm full of Hell...
411 Posts
I have played a "scary basement" show. This was the Summer of 94 in Milwaukee, WI. It was hot and humid as fuck and it was to be the first show for the band I was in at the time. Everything was fine until we started to load in the gear. We entered the house through the kitchen and as we neared the door, were bowled over by one of the worst odors I have ever smelled in my life. As I stepped into the kitchen I look around to see about 20 or so bags of garbage piled up in a heap and flies buzzing around everywhere. I had my 4x10 in hand and the only thing that kept me from turning around and bolting was the line of people behind me helping us load in. I was trapped.

Forced to continue on, we proceed down to the basement. While the basement was certainly filthy and musty the smell wasn't that bad down there but it was somehow different. Oh! It's the very large pile of shit on the floor in the middle of the room! The jury is still out on whether that pile was produced by animal or man. So after some hushed voice conversation we decide to play the show but know that we have to do something about the foul odor and the pile of shit. The excrement was disposed of.. somewhere, for all I know it was just tossed up into the kitchen. Who would have noticed?! Our other guitarist ran out to find something to dilute the smell. He returns with about 10 packs of incense sticks and proceeds to light everyone of them. I must say, while it became overbearing at times, it helped a great deal.

The other scary part was the "stage" which consisted of about 4 pallets, that did not sit level on the floor, covered with a couple of sheets of plywood. Not only that but there was a foot and half deep hole right in the middle where the pallets didn't meet up due to some pipes coming up that was deeper than the basement floor and if I remember correctly there was fetid water collecting at the bottom. The whole time I imagined slipping into that thing and breaking my ankle only to be ignored by paramedics because the odor of the house is repelling them from entering.

There's much more to the story of this night but I'll leave it at that. Scary basement, indeed. :ugh:

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have played a "scary basement" show. This was the Summer of 94 in Milwaukee, WI. It was hot and humid as fuck and it was to be the first show for the band I was in at the time. Everything was fine until we started to load in the gear. We entered the house through the kitchen and as we neared the door, were bowled over by one of the worst odors I have ever smelled in my life. As I stepped into the kitchen I look around to see about 20 or so bags of garbage piled up in a heap and flies buzzing around everywhere. I had my 4x10 in hand and the only thing that kept me from turning around and bolting was the line of people behind me helping us load in. I was trapped.

Forced to continue on, we proceed down to the basement. While the basement was certainly filthy and musty the smell wasn't that bad down there but it was somehow different. Oh! It's the very large pile of shit on the floor in the middle of the room! The jury is still out on whether that pile was produced by animal or man. So after some hushed voice conversation we decide to play the show but know that we have to do something about the foul odor and the pile of shit. The excrement was disposed of.. somewhere, for all I know it was just tossed up into the kitchen. Who would have noticed?! Our other guitarist ran out to find something to dilute the smell. He returns with about 10 packs of incense sticks and proceeds to light everyone of them. I must say, while it became overbearing at times, it helped a great deal.

The other scary part was the "stage" which consisted of about 4 pallets, that did not sit level on the floor, covered with a couple of sheets of plywood. Not only that but there was a foot and half deep hole right in the middle where the pallets didn't meet up due to some pipes coming up that was deeper than the basement floor and if I remember correctly there was fetid water collecting at the bottom. The whole time I imagined slipping into that thing and breaking my ankle only to be ignored by paramedics because the odor of the house is repelling them from entering.

There's much more to the story of this night but I'll leave it at that. Scary basement, indeed. :ugh:
Christ dude, whose house was that? :rofl:

·
I'm full of Hell...
411 Posts
Christ dude, whose house was that? :rofl:
I don't know how far their name and reputation precedes them anymore but everyone in the Milwaukee music scene knew of a band called The Motherfuckers. Not so much for their music (gutter punk) but for their on stage antics (destroying things, nudity, smashing bottles of beer against the walls, singer getting a blowjob, etc). The house belonged to the mother of their singer where he and his girlfriend both lived. From what I was told, they were both heroin addicts and good housekeeping was obviously not very high on their list.

Ironically, years later, I worked with their guitar player who is one of the most whimsical, intelligent and funny guys I've ever met.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts