Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Week or so old but here it goes anyway, since Iron was expecting EVH Amps news :)

EVH has announced new two amplifiers, the British-voiced 5150III 50W EL34 1x12 Combo and EVH 5150III 50W EL34 2x12 Combo.

The 50-watt tube combo amps boast independent dual-concentric controls and three channels-clean, crunch and lead.

Channels one and two each have dual concentric gain/volume controls, with shared EQ (low, mid, high). Channel three has its own gain, volume and EQ (low, mid, high) controls. All three channels also sport global presence, resonance and reverb controls.

http://www.evhgear.com/gear/amps/

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
Nice - "British voiced" That would be cool to get an A/B between this and the standard one. If/when I get another amp, it's going to be an EVH, for sure.

Edited to add: Not digging this guy's tone - too ice-picky, but he has the high amped up and the low and mid cut. Gonna have to check one of these out for myself next time I'm at a guitar store.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah the Tone is very piercing... maybe they are using the "in the mix" tone that sounds like total shit isolated. Or the have their ears so fucked up they can even notice it's all high frequencies.

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
Yeah the Tone is very piercing... maybe they are using the "in the mix" tone that sounds like total shit isolated. Or the have their ears so fucked up they can even notice it's all high frequencies.
Yeah, I'd prefer it was just flat so we could hear the base tone. Funny thing is, mine is set almost opposite of this with 6,6,4. But, I add highs back in with the FX...

·
Hasta la vista, Baby
384 Posts
It's funny how peple asked for an EL34 version of this amp for a long time, yet everyone seems to prefer the 6L6 version now.

If this didn't weight 40Kg I'd have one by now.

·
Registered
927 Posts
It's funny how peple asked for an EL34 version of this amp for a long time, yet everyone seems to prefer the 6L6 version now.

If this didn't weight 40Kg I'd have one by now.
A large part of that has to due with the lackluster blue channel on the 50 watt head models (most people seem to go for 50watt heads vs the 100 watt originals). The stock blue channel, on the el34 head is pretty muddy but there is a simple fix for it that I have done on mine that fixes the tone and feel that people bitched about. (all you have to do is clip a leg of a diode on the main pcb).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts