Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This shit is pretty cool! Been working on some recording and really listening to how guitar tracks fit in the mix and a friend pointed these out to me. Don't know if they've been posted before:

If you go to the page of one of the videos there are a whole bunch more of them.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Those are pretty cool

A couple more just for giggles

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
This shit is pretty cool! Been working on some recording and really listening to how guitar tracks fit in the mix and a friend pointed these out to me. Don't know if they've been posted before:

YouTube - EVH Eddie Van Halen - Hot For Teacher *GUITAR TRACK*

YouTube - EVH Eddie Van Halen - Jamies Crying *GUITAR TRACK*

YouTube - Van Halen "Intruder" & "Pretty Woman" Isolated Guitar Track

If you go to the page of one of the videos there are a whole bunch more of them.
To be perfectly honest, the Hot For Teacher tone is fizzy and irritating by itself, but damn if it doesn't sit in the mix really, really well on the actual song. Whoever did that disk knew what they were doing.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
He has a great, very deliberate sounding way of playing loose around the hits. Gives the songs a lot of that feel... and that feel is awesomeness.

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To be perfectly honest, the Hot For Teacher tone is fizzy and irritating by itself, but damn if it doesn't sit in the mix really, really well on the actual song. Whoever did that disk knew what they were doing.
Totally. I love how it all works together.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Totally. I love how it all works together.
Definitely a lesson to be learned. So many of us spend so much time getting that single awesome guitar tone with an amp, only to forget that it has two, three, four or more other instruments to fight with in a limited band.

·
Registered
371 Posts
It's interesting listening to the bare tracks because the tone is so focussed. There really aren't any stray frequencies. The tone is very tight and focussed.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
I had always assumed isolating tracks off records like this was pretty much impossible. Now I'm seeing tons of shit like this on youtube. Are people just taking the individual tracks from Rockband/Guitarhero and picking out those tracks? Or is there some other magical new way i'm completely oblivious to?

·
18,790 Posts
He has a great, very deliberate sounding way of playing loose around the hits. Gives the songs a lot of that feel... and that feel is awesomeness.
:agreed: I found my playing was getting too clean and tight a while back, and have been working on developing looseness and feel and groove again.

I had always assumed isolating tracks off records like this was pretty much impossible. Now I'm seeing tons of shit like this on youtube. Are people just taking the individual tracks from Rockband/Guitarhero and picking out those tracks?
Yes.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Oh well. Looks like i'll have to hold off isolating Steve D. Bass tracks until they release Individual Thought Patterns for Rockband :lol:

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Listening to "hot for teacher" it sounds like he has practically no low end in his tone. Gonna be tweaking my amp at band practice a touch tomorrow I think!

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)darren:phone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

What I found interesting was how his gain changed.

"Unchained" has LOADS of gain and definitely a darker, "browner" sound compared to, say, "Hot For Teacher," which is much brighter and less gainy.

But they're both great tones that work perfectly in context.

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Listening to "hot for teacher" it sounds like he has practically no low end in his tone. Gonna be tweaking my amp at band practice a touch tomorrow I think!
That's kinda what I did a while ago. Drop the lows on my amp and I cut through a TON more. On my Titan and my Jet City, I pretty much run everything at 12 o'clock. Except on the Titan, I run the treb and pres at about 1. It's got a SHITLOAD of highs. :lol:

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Definitely a lesson to be learned. So many of us spend so much time getting that single awesome guitar tone with an amp, only to forget that it has two, three, four or more other instruments to fight with in a limited band.
:agreed:

That's kinda what I did a while ago. Drop the lows on my amp and I cut through a TON more. On my Titan and my Jet City, I pretty much run everything at 12 o'clock. Except on the Titan, I run the treb and pres at about 1. It's got a SHITLOAD of highs. :lol:
Congrats :yesway:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts