I am Groot
32,450 Posts
^ Old Eddie, going through the motions. :noway:

Young Eddie, tearing it up:

:yesway:

·
Banned
2,695 Posts
89 EVH was even several steps down from 70's-83 EVH. That guy was ON ANOTHER FUCKING PLANET compared to the rest of the crowd in the 70's and early 80's.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
^ :agreed:

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Yep... EVH in the late '70s was like Jimi Hendrix in the late '60s. It was like he was dropped in from another planet and left a lot of people scratching their heads.
^:agreed:

I get just as sad seeing what Michael Schenker has become here of late.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Eddie's problem was his playing peaked in the middle part of the David Lee Roth era (Woman adn Children First and Fair Warning). After that he seemed more content to try and sell records and tickets to concerts that be the baddest motherfucker on the planet.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
*check in*
<widdle>
<tap>
</tap>
</widdle>
*check out*
*cash in*
*put your name on a set of fucking stripy shoes, a $4.5k guitar, a few overpriced pedals, and an amp*
*profit*

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
After that he seemed more content to try and sell records and tickets to concerts that be the baddest motherfucker on the planet.
Sometimes you gotta get your priorities straight... Selling tickets and t-shirts payed the bills a whole lot more than practicing.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Eddie's problem was his playing peaked in the middle part of the David Lee Roth era (Woman adn Children First and Fair Warning). After that he seemed more content to try and sell records and tickets to concerts that be the baddest motherfucker on the planet.
I agree - I still play Fair Warning regularly one of my favorite records. But I have to say maybe he didn't shred as much during the Hagar era - but I think they put out some very strong songs.

If I remember correctly Fair Warning was one of their poorest selling records. All the guitar players I know love it - but obviously the general Van Halen fan didn't.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
I agree - I still play Fair Warning regularly one of my favorite records. But I have to say maybe he didn't shred as much during the Hagar era - but I think they put out some very strong songs.

If I remember correctly Fair Warning was one of their poorest selling records. All the guitar players I know love it - but obviously the general Van Halen fan didn't.
Sad but true. The more arena rock and radio friendly they got the less Eddie was a total badass. I know they sold shit loads of records after Fair Warning, with the exception of Van Halen III, but musically they failed to inspire me. I could listen to it but very little of it made want to either pick up a guitar or light my guitar on fire and take up the kazoo.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts