Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a pretty stable internet connection, and a basic Linksys Wireless G router. I've got multiple computers, my droid, ps3, etc, all wirelessly connected to the router with absolutely no problems.

Then there's the Xbox 360. Since I have a small child, I don't run a cable from room to room anymore, I have one of those add-on WIFI things that snaps on the back. It has such difficulty connecting to the network. All the settings are right, and it's positioned just a foot away from my PS3 that has no connection problems.

Now get this, if I unplug and re-plug in the Linksys router, the Xbox connects without a problem. Any ideas how to fix this without having to unplug the router every time? Also the Xbox live connection will drop at a moment's notice, it's highly unstable, while every other device connected has no issues.

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depends. Sometimes 4 hours, sometimes 10 seconds. The connection quality is really hit or miss too.

I might replace the snap on piece, but it's like $60 minimum and I'd like to not do that if I don't have to.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
How often do you leave long connections open with your PC? Is it possible that your other devices are dropping out and reconnecting and you just aren't noticing it?

I'd try a new router first, honestly. Grab something at Wal-Mart, give it a day or two, if it still happens, just return the new router. My XBox is fussy about reconnecting to WiFi on the odd occasion that it does drop out, whereas my computers/phones/etc are a bit more persistent about reconnecting if the link drops.

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How often do you leave long connections open with your PC? Is it possible that your other devices are dropping out and reconnecting and you just aren't noticing it?
The last few days I've been working from home. I've noticed my work computer drop connection twice in 4 days, but my personal laptop stays connected regardless. So does my PS3.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
Hmmm... I don't know. Linksys are usually pretty good. How many devices to you have connecting to it? I wonder if it's an IP conflict? Do you have DHCP enabled on it?

·
Read Only
10 Posts
DHCP conflict would do that, too. How big is the address range that you have setup for DHCP? Default is usually like 50-100 though, since it's a class C anyway.

I'd probably still try a new router. If not, Gamestop up a used wifi dongle for the XBox, and see if that does the trick.

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So check this out. I did some Xbox troubleshooting tonight with the connection. First off it doesn't really show any bars on the 4 bar scale for my network, so it's not really picking it up. Second I get this error message:

Your network doesn't have a sufficient MTU setting. Xbox LIVE requires a minimum MTU setting of 1364.

So I check my router. I tried the MTU on auto and also on 1500. Neither worked for the xbox, yet I'm typing this to you through the connection.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts