Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1TB Logitech G-Drive hanging off of my Mini right now, and I was going to pick one up for Steve so that we can swap some data around. I haven't had a problem with it, but holy shit:

G-Technology 1TB G-DRIVE High-Performance Hard Drive - Apple Store (U.S.)

The reviews for it scare the crap out of me. :eek:

I've had great luck with my Buffalo NAS, and bad luck with Western Digital drives. What are all you lads using, and would any of you like to buy a 1TB G-Drive? :lol:

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
I have a 500 gig Western Digital that I use to back up my back up's (if you know what I mean) and I've had no problems with it.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I pretty much only buy Hitachi drives if i have any choice in the matter. Hitachi bought IBM's hard drive business and i love my TravelStars.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
How much would it cost just to buy an empty external enclosure and then your own hd of choice? I haven't done this since all my machines only have FW and USB 2 with PATA IDE. I think it's time to go serial, but e-sata is looking pretty enticing.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Wow at those reviews :lol:

My boss at the company I ran the product line for had a huge hard-on for Seagates and hated WD and Hitachi.

Don't buy the LaCies; they're ridiculously overpriced and we had two fail on the audio project that I worked on for two years. We also had three Samsung drives fail.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Don't buy the LaCies; they're ridiculously overpriced and we had two fail on the audio project that I worked on for two years. We also had three Samsung drives fail.
Funny story... i was up at my old university, borrowing a SCSI CD burner from an old friend who's also the tech in the Design department of my old faculty.

It was a LaCie, and we had to open the enclosure to try and swap out the drive for something else... the CD mechanism inside was clearly labeled as a factory second, and the LaCie was bought new. And of course, it has a label over the seams saying that opening the case will void the warranty. I wonder how many other LaCie products are like that? It's certainly changed my view of the brand.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've had 5 LaCie drives fail on me as well. Two of them failed in the middle of the fucking Outback. Kind of hard to hit up a Best Buy. Total shit.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
One of my friends bought an external WD drive+enclosure. It died in less than a year and she asked me for help on it.

When I did some research on it, I found that WD put refurbished drives in those enclosures... I told her she's SOL if she heard clicking noises and to just put her own drive in it.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Wirelessly posted (iPhone : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; Droid Build/ESE81) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

All I use is Western Digital. I don't have any problems.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
I use whatever including WD, I don't have a preference. All I care about is that they last.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
I have 2 samsung 1TBs in a raid1 I have had no issues with. one of my seagates is kind of wonky though and has some timing issue or something or other

·
18,790 Posts
A bunch of people in my class in college did a group buy of LaCie external drives for their project drives for the studio (one guy's brother got them a deal), probably half of them failed, and at least one literally caught fire :lol:

My Maxtor (who, I guess, is now Seagate) 250GB that I bought 5 years ago is still running strong like the day I bought it. Looks like this:

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
I pretty much only buy Hitachi drives if i have any choice in the matter. Hitachi bought IBM's hard drive business and i love my TravelStars.
Is that what happened? I was wondering when hitachi drives quit being a joke :lol:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts