Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have no idea where it is. All I know is Bostnoins can't get no satisfactino

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
This whole dvd is excellent. :metal: I highly recommend it. Even if you just kinda dig Extreme, you should check it out. :yesway:
I like Gary, but I definitely like Nuno better on his own (solo, MW, P1, DramaGods). But I'll still likely pick this disk up.

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
I never really listened to much of Nuno's "solo" stuff other than the Scitzowhatsamacallit disc(can't remember what it's called and I'm too lazy to look for it :lol:). What would be a good one to start with(ie. make me want to burn my guitars quicker)? :lol:

And I really dig Gary. Probably one of my favorite singers of that genre. Hell, I think I'm about the only one that liked Van Halen III! :D

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I never really listened to much of Nuno's "solo" stuff other than the Scitzowhatsamacallit disc(can't remember what it's call and I'm too lazy to look for it :lol:). What would be a good one to start with(ie. make me want to burn my guitars quicker)? :lol:

And I really dig Gary. Probably one of my favorite singers of that genre. Hell, I think I'm about the only one that liked Van Halen III! :D
I thought Cherone was going to RULE in Van Halen. Unfortuantely, when the album came out we got Sammy Karaoke instead of Gary singing like himself.

If he had just done his thing instead of trying to be a Hagar clone, that lineup could have been great.

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
I thought Cherone was going to RULE in Van Halen. Unfortuantely, when the album came out we got Sammy Karaoke instead of Gary singing like himself.

If he had just done his thing instead of trying to be a Hagar clone, that lineup could have been great.
Right. I kind of felt the same while it seemed like Eddie was trying to be more funky like Nuno. :lol: I still kind of enjoyed it for what it was.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I never really listened to much of Nuno's "solo" stuff other than the Scitzowhatsamacallit disc(can't remember what it's called and I'm too lazy to look for it :lol:). What would be a good one to start with(ie. make me want to burn my guitars quicker)? :lol:

I don't know man. I'm a bit of a Nuno fan, so it's hard for me to pick. Probably:

Mourning Widows - Furnished Souls for Rent
Dramagods - Love
Population 1 - self-titled.

They're all so good though, but with the huge caveat that they're NOTHING like Extreme. They basically really continue on the path he set out on Schizophonic.

Me too. At the time I was an enormous VH fan, and loved Extreme too, so I had huge hopes. It was an enormously disappointing disk, and it was one of those that I listened to far more than I should have, because I was trying to "train" myself to like it. I just couldn't do it. I gave it to my sister after about 2 weeks, and never got it back.

Right. I kind of felt the same while it seemed like Eddie was trying to be more funky like Nuno. :lol: I still kind of enjoyed it for what it was.
Eddie dried up after Balance (many would obviously say 1984, but I actually really like Van Hagar era). He uses so many cliche'd riffs/licks, I just don't have any hope for him anymore. Nuno and Vitto both take the EVH style and bar far transcend it.

·
Lord Super Awesome
5,701 Posts

The problem wasn't Gary on that album. EVH changed up the formula for songwriting on that album. Rather than writing the music 1st w/ lyrics to follow, EVH actually wrote the music AROUND existing poems/lyrics Gary already had. :noway:

Had the classic writing formula been left intact, I think it would've been a much better album. Still not a bad album, but a far cry from its predecessors. I think Gary got a bad wrap for EVH's experimentation.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
The problem wasn't Gary on that album. EVH changed up the formula for songwriting on that album. Rather than writing the music 1st w/ lyrics to follow, EVH actually wrote the music AROUND existing poems/lyrics Gary already had. :noway:

Had the classic writing formula been left intact, I think it would've been a much better album. Still not a bad album, but a far cry from its predecessors. I think Gary got a bad wrap for EVH's experimentation.
:agreed: for some reason EVH had a huge boner for experimenting on III, and it wasn't the good kind, IMO. I think one or two odd tracks would have been fine, but instead it was one or two "normal" tracks, then the rest was odd.

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Man, I've been on a bit of an old Extreme kick for the last few days myself. I re-learnt some of the III sides solos just last night. And I was such a huge Extreme fan back in the day. The cheaper, Korean-made N2 was the first 'decent' guitar I owned.

It's a shame that Nuno went off the shred thing during the late 90's. His lead style was so lovely and playful. I was mortified when I heard practically no decent soloing on Schizophonic (even though the album has its own charm). He's such a good song writer, too. Always great and classic use of the dominant 7, even with heavy rhythms, and he uses some great chords.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts