Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is amazing. Been playing it all day.

There is a noticeable difference between back and front-end teams, and running the thing in full pro-sim mode (no driver assists at all) is a challenge, but it's awesome.

Had to stop as I have major cramp in my left foot but man is it good!

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Finally got around to spending some serious time with it. While definitely not a full-blown simulator, it's pretty deep with most of the technical details.

What I like:

- Interaction with the team in career mode. This was in Codies other racing games like Race Driver. But it's still cool to talk to your agent, have your engineer give you info/encouragement over the radio, and also have a team morale meter after you give interviews or attend press conferences. You really want to put an effort into not disappointing the guys working in the garage.

- Wet weather. Holy Crap!!! This is amazing. :eek: They really got this part right. The standing water, the increased grip on the outside of the racing line, the slippery curbs. The fact that you cant see shit if you're in the middle of a group of cars, with all the rooster-tails that the leading cars throw up in the air. Absolutely spot on.

- Authentic Grand Prix weekend and regulations. It's all there (if you want it). The 3 practice sessions, the knockout qualifying, the engine and tire rules. Thankfully you can accelerate time when sitting in the garage. Not too sure if I'd want to sit through full practice sessions. But it's nice to know it's there.

- Driving and physics. One big problem I've always had with other F1 simulators is that, the developers always seem to think that the car should be trying to kill you with a default setup. And that it's your responsibility to make the car drivable. Well not everyone wants to be bothered with becoming a racing engineer. So at least this game gives you a drivable car with the default setups (even with driving aids turned off). It also does a good job of making it feel like you've got some serious racing rubber on the ground. Also, just like in a real Formula 1 car. The brakes in this game are just plain ridiculous.

What I don't like:

- No telemetry and tire readings. OK this is not really going to matter to anyone who doesnt want to bother with making their own setups. But if one wants to start making adjustments like camber and toe. There's no way to really tell what effect they have on the tires. When you're sitting in the garage, you should be given access to tire temps. But I'm just not seeing it anywhere. :scratch:.

- Corner cutting warnings. This is starting to piss me off a little bit. Not only are the warnings/penalties a bit inconsistent. But in some cases they're completely unwarranted for just climbing over the curbs somewhat aggressively. The Melbourne circuit seems to be the biggest offender. They really need to patch this.

- Dangerous Driving penalties. I'm getting a 5 grid penalty because I locked wheels with someone during a practice session? WTF??? Also if you've gone off and are trying to navigate back onto the circuit again. It seems to start giving you "dangerous blocking" warnings. This needs to be patched also.

- No brake bias adjustment in cockpit. Unless the 2010 rules now call for non adjustable brake bias? :scratch:. You can control the engine mapping and front wing angle while driving however.

- The "Endurance" Section of the Bahrain Circuit. If that new section didnt look bad enough on TV. It's even worse to drive in this game. And while it's never to be used again for Formula 1 races starting next season. It's here to live for all eternity in this game. :noway:

·
Neil deGrasse Tyson is my HERO.
1,053 Posts
My brother just spent 118 dollars on this today but his playstation's blueray laser gave up the ghost during the day...he's pretty pissed.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What do you guys think about how what times the AI on the track have are not related to the end results and just for show?
Don't think the game is hard enough to be honest. I comfortably set a pole time of 1:14.989 in a Hispania around Montréal. :lol:

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also, does anyone else ever get that thing where you play a game for ages and you start to think in terms of it? I used to get it with Tetris. Well, now I have it with this. :lol: If I'm walking quickly I walk right behind someone until the last minute without even realising it. :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
I'm currently ranked in the top 5% (top 1000 players) online after completing and winning three back to back 100% distance races :lol:

Fucking. Love. This. Game.
What platform are you playing this on?

Waiting for this to get patched up on the consoles before playing it anymore.

Would also be nice if they got rid of the outboard mirrors, and get everything compliant with the latest rules and regs. I can see why they banned those mirrors. Well actually I cant, because you can't see jack shit out of them.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What platform are you playing this on?

Waiting for this to get patched up on the consoles before playing it anymore.

Would also be nice if they got rid of the outboard mirrors, and get everything compliant with the latest rules and regs. I can see why they banned those mirrors. Well actually I cant, because you can't see jack shit out of them.
Windows.

Yeah there are a whole bunch of things that need changed. Split times are great in qualifying but useless in a race, they should change it so it's gaps between the cars during a race.

Warnings are, as you said, overzealous.

Multiplayer needs a minor tweak - games that have already started are still on the list to connect to, and you have no way of knowing if you can or can't until you try - and if you don't you get thrown back to the main menu. It's frustrating. They should have a green box beside a game if it's started, a red box if the lag is to great for a connection.

Mirrors need moved inboard the helmetcam needs moved down, it's too high just now. And the Toro Rosso view is too far back, compared to the other cars. Feels weird.

I wish you could do your warm up and warm down laps, and it had a real safety car.

They also need a "Fernando is faster than you" engineer's message. They did get it right in that Schumacher will crash into you rather than let you pass, though. :lol:

Anyone else playing on PC? Quite fancy racing peeps :)

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
F1 Games from Codemasters said:
The F1 2010 patch for PC is now available via GFWL and the game should update automatically when you next boot it up. A standalone version of the patch will be made available soon.

Still waiting on the release of the patch on Xbox 360, but will update again when I hear more.
:yesway:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.