Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Norton Mobile Insight Discovers Facebook Privacy Leak | Symantec Connect Community

Today we released a new version of Norton Mobile Security for Android devices that contains our new Norton Mobile Insight technology. Mobile Insight has analyzed over 4 million Android applications and processes tens of thousands of new applications every day. Through automatic and proprietary static and dynamic analysis techniques, Mobile Insight is able to automatically discover malicious applications, privacy risks, and potentially intrusive behavior. Further, Mobile Insight will tell you exactly what risky behavior an application will perform and give you specific, relevant, and actionable information.

The ability of Mobile Insight to automatically provide granular information on the behavior of any Android application even surprised us when we reviewed the most popular applications exhibiting privacy leaks.

Of particular note, Mobile Insight automatically flagged the Facebook application for Android because it leaked the device phone number. The first time you launch the Facebook application, even before logging in, your phone number will be sent over the Internet to Facebook servers. You do not need to provide your phone number, log in, initiate a specific action, or even need a Facebook account for this to happen.

According to Google Play, hundreds of millions of devices have installed the Facebook application and a significant portion of those devices are likely affected.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

Was already considering punting FB from my phone, and this just sealed it.

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━&#
1,986 Posts

this really needs to be a smily :wonka:

Facebook fucking sucks for privacy.

Facebook Underplays Data Exposed by DYI Bug | Threatpost

Basically, it involves a user who registers with Facebook using a free email service, and does not associate a phone number to his account. A friend of his uploads their contact information that includes the first user's phone number and a different email address. A third person, who does not know the first person, adds the free email address to their Facebook contacts. When the third person retrieves their archive, rather than retrieving just what she uploaded, the archive contains the phone number and different email since it's all been correlated since.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
My current fav is how FB can turn your camera and mics on without your knowledge.

A lot of apps do this, these days. Privacy is dead

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
My current fav is how FB can turn your camera and mics on without your knowledge.

A lot of apps do this, these days. Privacy is dead

There's only one Camera Permission an app can make in Android. There's no "App can use the camera, but only after it asks you first" permission.

Those messages just mean that facebook can use your camera without asking if it can open your camera first.

Every app on android that uses your camera (Facebook, Instagram, Flickr, fuckin...I dunno. Tumblr, or whatever the kids are using these days) asks for that exact permission, with that exact text.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts