Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Droid Build/FRG01B) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

So what does it say about you if you use screen captures from Van Halen videos for your profile picture?

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Droid Build/FRG01B) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

So what does it say about you if you use screen captures from Van Halen videos for your profile picture? LOL
A) you have good taste

B) You're a cool mofo, and hardly a narcissist. :wub:

·
18,790 Posts
The only time I've slipped into bad FB habits was when I was trying to keep someone updated who I was not in contact with (long story) but I knew was creeping my FB page occasionally, so I wanted to keep them updated of my own personal developments.

But that never included boring day to day stuff, if anything it got a little whiney and overpersonal :lol:

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
I actually held off getting an FB account (or any other sort of social networking site) for ages because of exactly this.

I sort of worry now when I look at my own page that I've turned into everything I hate...:lol:

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I honestly just draw a blank when looking at FB. I like it, but really? I can't think of anything I really want to post about in regards to constant status updates.

"I went jogging."
"I'm off work."
"I have an appointment."
"I went shopping."

Bleah. Seriously? Are we so self-absorbed we have to shout the most unimportant and petty details of our lives, just to give them substance and meaning? I do all that shit too, but it just honestly is not fodder for conversation, or anything I not only don't care to share, but never even THINK to share. If something substantial happens, or I like a video or article, just like on here, sure. But otherwise... An example of great FB updates was Dave's recent trip to Arizona. "Standing on the corner in Winslow, Arizona... no really, I am." :lol: Brilliant!

I fear what we're becoming.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Metal Shop \m/: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

What cracks me up the most is when a person has hundreds upon hundreds of pictures of themselves tagged. :lol:

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
While we're on the topic of FB...

I don't use it much at all, but I keep getting invites to these events from this group I have no known association with. They could be friends of friends or not. I honestly don't know.

Question: How the fuck do I stop them from sending messages to my inbox?

·
Motherfucker.
3,459 Posts
I honestly just draw a blank when looking at FB. I like it, but really? I can't think of anything I really want to post about in regards to constant status updates.

"I went jogging."
"I'm off work."
"I have an appointment."
"I went shopping."

Bleah. Seriously? Are we so self-absorbed we have to shout the most unimportant and petty details of our lives, just to give them substance and meaning? I do all that shit too, but it just honestly is not fodder for conversation, or anything I not only don't care to share, but never even THINK to share. If something substantial happens, or I like a video or article, just like on here, sure. But otherwise... An example of great FB updates was Dave's recent trip to Arizona. "Standing on the corner in Winslow, Arizona... no really, I am." :lol: Brilliant!

I fear what we're becoming.
Yeah, I try to post interesting articles, videos, funny quotes etc...but narrating your life is just, well, sad. (Doesn't mean I haven't done it though :p)

Wirelessly posted (Metal Shop \m/: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

What cracks me up the most is when a person has hundreds upon hundreds of pictures of themselves tagged. :lol:
I have 573 tagged pictures of me (most of which are from university, 3/4s of which probably show me with a pint glass, a beer bottle, or a glass of whiskey in my hand). I can guarantee I didn't take 99% of them and tagged myself in literally 0 of them :lol: However, I have UNtagged myself from a fair few.

The thing that makes me laugh is when someone has a ridiculous amount of friends on there, like more than 1000. It's just silly!

·
DOO)))M
7,435 Posts
However, I have UNtagged myself from a fair few.
I do this a lot because I hate knowing pictures of me are floating around, especially when I detest how I look in them. I used to have something like 60 or so pictures up, now I've de-tagged myself down to 6.

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
I don't really use facebook for anything anymore, there is too much crap on it now lol. Anyway I still have the best custom URL :lol: SevenOfNine :metal:

·
Thread Killer
6,491 Posts
I use Facebook to keep in contact with people that I normally wouldnt talk to on the phone.

Also Martin does post some pretty funny shit.. :lol:

4,429 Posts
Eh i'm on facebook every day. I use it primarily to talk to people who I wouldn't necessarily call. For example it was my main way of keeping in touch with friends from school over the summer.

Nearly all my status's are song lyrics or me saying random shit. Only time i post about my activities is if I'm going somewhere particularly awesome or am complaining about insomnia.

·
Resident Rivethead.
1,541 Posts
I barely ever even go on the thing... I started a page when I was still in high school (4 years ago or so? :scratch:) and I didn't even check it until this year :lol:

I've now gone on twice. Once to cull my "friends" down to people I literally know and have some actual friendship with outside of facebook, and once because a friend I haven't seen in 8 years added me (EDIT: I think i replied to a post or something from Ruarc then as well :scratch:)... That's it.

I prefer here and MSN for my internet interaction :yesway:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts