Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other thing I almost used as a title is "Guitar Cables - I'm ignorant of what's out there". But the one I used seemed more appropriate.

So I was just playing guitar, and I noticed some weird drop out in the signal. I play through my PC, so I'm used to weird things happening on the odd ocassion. And I've often wondered how much my cables play a part in this. And most of my cables are either old or very cheap. Most of them have been gigged an awful lot.

I'm completely ignorant of what's good and what's not. I know Planet Waves offer some sort of ridiculous guarantee, as do some other companies. I own Nuetrik cable to go from my power-amp to cab, and that's a nice heavy-duty, well made cable. I'm tempted to go for this brand, but they're slightly pricey. I also saw a cable with some sort of Hush switch on it a few years back (I think that was Planet Waves, too). But what else is out there?

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Klotz. I use them. bright primary colours, molded ends that are unbreakable, fantastic cables and the only ones I trust to gig with.

PW's are nice, but since they fuck your sockets I tend to avoid them.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Klotz. I use them. bright primary colours, molded ends that are unbreakable, fantastic cables and the only ones I trust to gig with.

PW's are nice, but since they fuck your sockets I tend to avoid them.
You spelled "colors" wrong. :wub:

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
I just bought a load of good quality cable, some Neutrik ends, and built my own. My main cable I built is rock solid, gigged a lot last year and didn't even have a hint of a problem.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
I use rapco Horizon, because the cable is nice, has neutrik ends, and i get it stupid fucking cheap cause i work at a dealer :lol:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
GerogeL's, I won't use anything else. The solderless ends are brilliant, makes them great for building pedalboards. They're also pristine sounding.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
And most of my cables are either old or very cheap. Most of them have been gigged an awful lot.
I own Nuetrik cable to go from my power-amp to cab, and that's a nice heavy-duty, well made cable. I'm tempted to go for this brand, but they're slightly pricey. I also saw a cable with some sort of Hush switch on it a few years back (I think that was Planet Waves, too). But what else is out there?
The first part is more important. I would not spend much on premium cables for anything other than a good warranty. What you really need are a tough and flexible jacket, high quality connectors, and preferably some kind of stress-relief at the ends for longevity.

Let me put it this way: I've spent long enough in the audiophile hobby to recognize the premium hi-fi audio cables as primarily snake oil solutions to a problem that they create. And I have noticed over the last 1-2 years that hi-fi audio cable manufacturers are getting HUGELY into guitar and "pro audio" cables. Why? Because they dick you to the tune of hundreds of %age points when you buy an $80 Monster cable to connect your guitar to your amp.

Here is a prime example: Analysis Plus Cables - Home Audio, Home Theater, Pro

Who uses their cables? Oh yeah baby, NASA and John Mayer. So it must give you great tone, right? These jerks have been ripping off audiophiles for years and now they're into musician cables. And I'm not just ranting, this is all demonstrable through scientific measurements of actual "cable performance".

Evidence Audio is another classic example: Buy Evidence Audio Lyric HG Instrument Cable | Instrument Cables | Musician's Friend

I find ProCo to be good bang-for-the-buck. There are plenty of others. Middle-of-the-road is my recommendation, and not that "Musicians Advantage" crap or whatever it's called that they peddle at GC.

:2cents::2cents::2cents::2cents::2cents:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
I just bought a load of good quality cable, some Neutrik ends, and built my own. My main cable I built is rock solid, gigged a lot last year and didn't even have a hint of a problem.
This is a great solution if you are willing to do a little soldering.

Though GeorgeL's is expensive, Noodle's is good too for pedalboards as you get nice custom terminations --> low stress on the cables --> long life.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Except he's in the UK. So George L's are expensive. Like super duper expensive.

Klotz man. Cheap, cheerful, ridiculous range of colours and lengths, and they'll outlast your cat.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Except he's in the UK. So George L's are expensive. Like super duper expensive.
Ah, didn't know that. They're already expensive enough in the US. :/

Klotz man. Cheap, cheerful, ridiculous range of colours and lengths, and they'll outlast your cat.
I look at this way: I play custom guitars with custom rewound pickups through Mesa/Boogie amps and TC Electronic effects. Why am I going to use off the shelf cables? Your rig is only as strong as the weakest link in it, so I use quality cables. So, price and longevity come behind how they sound in my rig. I used Whirlwind forever, since they are built like tanks, but the difference in tone was readily apparent. I'm not saying some subtle difference that most people cannot hear: Mike handed me one of his cables, I swapped out my Whirlwind, and I had to dial back the presence knob a click. HUGE difference.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
I look at this way: I play custom guitars with custom rewound pickups through Mesa/Boogie amps and TC Electronic effects. Why am I going to use off the shelf cables? Your rig is only as strong as the weakest link in it, so I use quality cables. So, price and longevity come behind how they sound in my rig. I used Whirlwind forever, since they are built like tanks, but the difference in tone was readily apparent. I'm not saying some subtle difference that most people cannot hear: Mike handed me one of his cables, I swapped out my Whirlwind, and I had to dial back the presence knob a click. HUGE difference.
But which cable is correct, the one with the extra presence or the one without? :cool: I am a big fan of going with what you like, and if Mike's (GeorgeL?) sound better to you, rock 'em! My rant was more: beware that more dollars ~= more audio truth.

+1 about the weakest link... what's the wiring inside your Mesa or your guitar control cavity or your speaker cab? Is it 99.99999% solid-core OHFC? Might have to do more re-wiring :lol:

And yeah I can't be of much help in England, so... my advice again is to try to run something that's not the bargain bin stuff but be wary of the super expensive stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
I had a Klotz LaGrange cable for a while....I hated it, because it rounded off my attack. Probably would be great for a blues or jazz player or something, but for me, it was terrible...so I stuck with my (less expensive) Monster Rock cable and sold the Klotz.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
And yeah I can't be of much help in England, so... my advice again is to try to run something that's not the bargain bin stuff but be wary of the super expensive stuff.
I like you, so I'll be kind. But I am not English.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts