Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else messed around with this sort of thing, using the humble piece of plastic to fake classical fingerstyle technique?

Good examples would be Greg Howe's classical-sounding pieces like 'Desiderata' or Van Halen's 'Little Guitars' intro, where they pick notes on the high strings while hammering bass notes to simulate PIMA technique.

A personal technique I've been messing with recently is mimicing a five-note tremolo with a down-down-up-down-up picking motion. For example...

e----------------------------------5-5-5-5--8-8-8-8---
b---6-6-6-6-6--5-5-5-5--8-8-8-8-6--------5----------
G--7----------7--------5-------------------------------
D--------------------------------------------------------
A-------------------------------------------------------
E-------------------------------------------------------

e----7-7-7-7---5-5-5-5---3-3-3-3----
b--8----------6---------5-------------
G-------------------------------------
D--------------------------------------
A--------------------------------------
E---------------------------------------

Use a down-down-up-down-up motion for each five-note group, and make sure you let everything ring together rather than articulating everything precisely like you would with sweep or economy picking. It sounds really cool once you get it rolling, especially with a warm clean tone.

Here's a Greg Howe lesson on this sort of thing...

Anyone else?

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe I'm not qualified to answer because I started in classical, but it's so much easier just to do PIMA for me.
Yeah, I know, it's just that classical tremolo technique can sound a little odd on a clean electric. On the nylon string I'd definitely default to the traditional approach.:)

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
I can definitely hear the difference, but I don't know. Maybe I need to work on this more. I'm definitely more comfortable just using PIMA for this and, of course, it sounds better when you're more confident.

·
THUNDERBEEEEAR!
3,920 Posts
Very useful for simulating it, specially if you're like me. I never figured out a how or where to stash my pick and I can't use my middle, ring and pinky either. it just doesn't work..

Might be the quality of the video, but his left hand looks like a bowl of spaghetti magically hitting in the right place...

·
Chromaphonic Invader
1,298 Posts
Personally I don't like the hammer on from nowhere thing either. It doesn't give the tone I usually like. If I'm going to do something like that I will just lazily hybrid pick it. Meaning just pick the bass note and then hit the rest with whatever finger I feel like. I was taught a specific pattern, but I just do what feels natural.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts