Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This can 'o worms gets opened up every so often in these health threads, so I thought we'd just dedicate a thread to it.

Myself, I have lazily gotten most of my information from a single documentary:

Personally, I tried a lower carb / higher fat diet, and it's nice. I generally felt better, and was losing weight. A couple months ago I went off it, and have been gaining weight steadily, and feeling worse :lol:

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
I especially get angry when I see parents trying to deny their children any fat, like only drinking skim milk etc. At a time when their brain, mostly fat, is still developing, the last thing it needs is to be is denied the resources it needs to grow.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
I especially get angry when I see parents trying to deny their children any fat, like only drinking skim milk etc. At a time when their brain, mostly fat, is still developing, the last thing it needs is to be is denied the resources it needs to grow.
Yeah, then they might form the next Cake.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Fat and cholesterol. Yep. :yesway:

Leon, me too... been off the wagon... drinking a lot, stressing a lot, eating a lot of grains and carby cheeses and fast food... makes a big difference to me.

·
HOLY DIVE-AH!
1,727 Posts
GOOD fat is good. fats from stuff like avacados, unrefined expeller pressed coconut oil, nuts, etc. ANIMAL fats are mostly saturated and still are not great for you.
eating cholesterol doesn't add to your ldl/hdl. carbs do.
most foods that are low fat are substituted with corn syrup/'natural flavors' which are basically cancer to make up for it.

eat REAL food.
eat organic, minimally processed foods.
if it comes in a box, bag, or otherwise not packaged by the last person to touch it, don't eat it.

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
most things are good for you as long as you don't only eat that one thing. ie: carbs are fuel for your body, just don't eat 2 bagels for breakfast with a tray of lasagna for lunch and pasta for dinner with a side of rice and toast.

same goes for fat.

you can get away with eating more protein than other things usually though.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
But, carbs actually aren't your body's first-choice fuel. Your body burns them off because too much sugar is toxic to your blood. Your body burns fat when it can.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Fats are good for you, yes. The brain needs some essential fatty acids from vegetable oils. Carbs are also needed for the brain as an energy source. People should get carbs from food that's high in fiber, that way it is digested slower, keeping the blood sugar levels stable.

But, carbs actually aren't your body's first-choice fuel. Your body burns them off because too much sugar is toxic to your blood. Your body burns fat when it can.
Glucose is the form of sugar that travels in your bloodstream to fuel the mitochondrial furnaces responsible for your brain power. Glucose is the only fuel normally used by brain cells. Because neurons cannot store glucose, they depend on the bloodstream to deliver a constant supply of this precious fuel.

This blood sugar is obtained from carbohydrates: the starches and sugars you eat in the form of grains and legumes, fruits and vegetables. (The only animal foods containing a significant amount of carbohydrates are dairy products.)

Too much sugar or refined carbohydrates at one time, however, can actually deprive your brain of glucose - depleting its energy supply and compromising your brain's power to concentrate, remember, and learn. Mental activity requires a lot of energy.
Low Blood Sugar Slows Brain - Study

Low blood glucose levels can lead to a significant deterioration in attention abilities, University of Edinburgh researchers concluded after testing healthy individuals in whom hypoglycemia had been induced.

Auditory and visual information was processed more slowly when the subjects' brains were temporarily deprived of its main source of energy
The Human Brain - Carbohydrates

4,429 Posts
It comes down to moderation. I eat a lot of high calorie foods such as fruits, bacon, and pasta. When I only eat as much as I need I lose weight pretty quickly as I tend to spend atleast a few hours a day outside and moving around. When I'm overeating until I'm full several times a day, because I'm going thru a period of depression or feel I'm too skinny, then I tend to gain weight.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Low Blood Sugar Slows Brain - Study

Low blood glucose levels can lead to a significant deterioration in attention abilities, University of Edinburgh researchers concluded after testing healthy individuals in whom hypoglycemia had been induced.

Auditory and visual information was processed more slowly when the subjects' brains were temporarily deprived of its main source of energy
:nuts: And they needed a study to say that? Diabetics have known for forever that low blood sugar slows the brain.

When I'm having a low blood sugar I have a LOT of trouble concentrating.

I've woken up with extreme low blood sugars where I didn't know where I was or who I was.

Your brain runs on sugar. It should be common sense that the less of that the brain has, the less capable the brain is going to be able to function. You don't need a study to tell you that. :squint:

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
:nuts: And they needed a study to say that? Diabetics have known for forever that low blood sugar slows the brain.

When I'm having a low blood sugar I have a LOT of trouble concentrating.

I've woken up with extreme low blood sugars where I didn't know where I was or who I was.

Your brain runs on sugar. It should be common sense that the less of that the brain has, the less capable the brain is going to be able to function. You don't need a study to tell you that. :squint:
I was just responding to Leon's post about carbs not being the first choice fuel. For the brain it is. There are people who go on about diets that starve the body from carbs so badly, that the brain has to run on ketones. IMO, and from the scientific data about the subject that I've looked at, this is a horrible idea (ketogenic diets for treatment of epilepsy is of course a different subject).

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
I was just responding to Leon's post about carbs not being the first choice fuel. For the brain it is. There are people who go on about diets that starve the body from carbs so badly, that the brain has to run on ketones. IMO, and from the scientific data about the subject that I've looked at, this is a horrible idea (ketogenic diets for treatment of epilepsy is of course a different subject).
Ketones are something you seriously want to avoid.

Doctors oftentimes check diabetics for whether they are spilling ketones in the urine because it can get pretty dangerous.

To some degree, that can't be avoided.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Ketoacidosis is to be avoided. That's different from a healthy, low-carb dieter creating and utilizing ketones as a primary fuel source. The body is capable of synthesizing all the glucose it needs for brain and other functions through gluconeogenesis.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts