Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just scored a PreSonus FireStudio Mobile and am having basic connection issues. (Yes, yes I know... that's what SHE said...) :(

I'm trying to monitor through my computer speakers, and I figured I should be able to make webcam movies directly from my Logitech software by selecting PreSonus as the audio source. I'm just not hearing anything at all. Plugging headphones into the PreSonus works. :yesway: I haven't even gotten as far as Reaper, although I started it up and attempted to choose my audio settings.

Setup:
Axe-Fx --> 1/4" unbalanced mono line out --> FireStudio line in --> FireWire cable --> motherboard FireWire connection --> Win7 x64 :ryan:

I have integrated audio on an ASUS motherboard that supports 24-bit/192 kHz 7.1 audio. I also have a SoundBlaster Audigy card with a nice front interface including FireWire, but it's not connected at this time.

Here's a screenshot of a bunch of my audio settings. Any advice, fellas?

·
Plastic bag in the sea
280 Posts
Ryan, first off change the driver in reaper (under that audio system tab) to ASIO. As for the getting the firestudio's inputs into the logitech software, I'm not sure. Are you getting the windows sounds from the outputs? If I had to wager a guess, I'd imagine windows would be using DAW return 1 or 1/2 for the input? Maybe try enabling the mixer? Unfortunately I don't have a presonus unit, but the mixer software looks quite similar to my M-audio's one. If you haven't got it working I'll check mine on win7 and see if I can offer any more help.

At a push, could you not simultaneously record the video in the logitech software while recording the audio into reaper, then mix them together in some editing software?

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ryan, first off change the driver in reaper (under that audio system tab) to ASIO. As for the getting the firestudio's inputs into the logitech software, I'm not sure. Are you getting the windows sounds from the outputs? If I had to wager a guess, I'd imagine windows would be using DAW return 1 or 1/2 for the input? Maybe try enabling the mixer? Unfortunately I don't have a presonus unit, but the mixer software looks quite similar to my M-audio's one. If you haven't got it working I'll check mine on win7 and see if I can offer any more help.

At a push, could you not simultaneously record the video in the logitech software while recording the audio into reaper, then mix them together in some editing software?
I am hearing Windows sounds normally, so I haven't screwed that up yet. I think the mixer is irrelevant, as it appears to control Main (RCA) outs, Phone outs, and SPDIF outs (though of course it also allows you to make zero-latency mix adjustments before sending to your computer).

I was thinking maybe I could use ASIO, as I have this WDM setup bit in the PreSonus software. Moving the Line 3 input up to the WDM channel 1 caused my machine to self-immolate, is that bad? :lol:

Uh, so... with WDM mapping, I can see that line 3 (mono from Axe-Fx) is mapped to WDM channel 3. If I move to output, WDM 3 is mapped to device channel Mobile DAW 3. Hence I tried to move it up to DAW 1, but perhaps if my mixer is enabled that's pointless.

·
Plastic bag in the sea
280 Posts
I think you lost me at WDM :lol:. Reached the limits of my computer knowledge I think. My idea of recording them separately still stands though, Reaper supports video as well although I've not tested it at all.

Hopefully someone who knows what they're talking about can help man, good luck! :D

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think you lost me at WDM :lol:. Reached the limits of my computer knowledge I think. My idea of recording them separately still stands though, Reaper supports video as well although I've not tested it at all.

Hopefully someone who knows what they're talking about can help man, good luck! :D
WDM means fuckall to me too man. :lol: I think it's also irrelevant, because the mixer is showing audio out. I still just have no evidence whatever that audio is making its way into my computer, and if it is, I can't find it. :(

You're right about the webcam thing - record them separately and them merge them - that was my first idea. But since I can do this I thought I should be able to make things easier. Thanks for the help thus far!

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, I have updated the PreSonus unit to the latest firmware, and I get a solid blue FireWire light on the front of the interface.

The manual states that nForce4 chipsets are bad juju, but I have nForce 680i SLI chipsets in my northbridge and southbridge, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I also just realized I have a midboard 1394 connection (amidst the cluster of USB 2.0 and audio ins/outs not on extension cards), so I've moved it to that for giggles.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I really think you need to have actual setting in the mixer. Like I said in PM, I ran powered monitors out of it, so everything I did in Reaper used the FSM, not my computer speakers.

That said, I always had my rate at 48k, and it definitely didn't make any sound if I had the mixer setup the way that you do.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really think you need to have actual setting in the mixer. Like I said in PM, I ran powered monitors out of it, so everything I did in Reaper used the FSM, not my computer speakers.

That said, I always had my rate at 48k, and it definitely didn't make any sound if I had the mixer setup the way that you do.
Possibly. I have tried it that way; see attached. Note how I have signal on Line 3 and the Main Out 1-2. I think the evidence of the problem is I'm not getting any level at the Sound tab for the FireStudio.

Were you using the S/PDIF out on the Axe-Fx? I'm taking analog out, so I'm not sure that different sampling rates and depths should mean too much. I did notice one interesting thing - after unplugging the FireStudio, the Universal Control allowed me to adjust Sample Rate, Clock Source, etc. whereas before all of that stuff was grayed out. I tried 44.1 kHz and moved it from Safe1 to Normal "safe mode" operation and it still did nothing on my computer. Also, if I change the frequency in the Interface Properties in my Sound tab, the PreSonus changes to a red light in the front for a second and then lights up blue again, so it seems to be taking clock override commands from the PC.

The master mix on Reaper still isn't seeing anything either. :(

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The master mix on Reaper still isn't seeing anything either. :(
This statement from me might be showing my incompetence at setting up Reaper, but I don't know. I've tried ASIO, DirectSound, and WaveOut, but I'm not clear on how to test whether Reaper is getting any audio. I tried "adding a track" and even arming it to record but wasn't seeing any levels, so I figured that was indicating I wasn't getting anything. I might even be doing the mixing part wrong up front with the PreSonus software.

My buddy spent an hour Remote Assisstance-ing me last night since he's pretty slick at Windows hackery. Didn't really make sense to him. I'm going to see if I can hook up my SoundBlaster Audigy, and I might borrow a 400/800 adapter from Best Buy to see if I can get it to work on my laptop. Just boggles my mind that everything appears to be happily connected.

Also, I disconnected the MIDI - S/PDIF breakout cable since I realized I'm not using it at all. It made it a lot easier for me to adjust the settings on the unit but didn't change the situation.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
The only cable going from the FSM to my machine was the Firewire cable. AFX XLR -> FSM -> Firewire out to my PC, with my monitors plugged into the outputs. What are you getting from the headphone jack?

You should definitely post this at the Presonus forums - I know fuck all about Win7, and the last time I recorded with Windows-anything was with my old MOTU. Clearly, you should just buy a Mac. :lol:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A) What are you getting from the headphone jack?
B) You should definitely post this at the Presonus forums
C) Clearly, you should just buy a Mac. :lol:
A) The headphone jack gives me awesome Axe-Fx audio. :yesway: This tells me the device is receiving the sound, converting it to digital (and I am able to adjust the clock rates, which momentarily interrupts the sound and then it kicks on again) and passing the data through the PreSonus "mixer" built into their Universal Control software.

I think it's smart to do what you said - don't have everything plugged in at once. So I'm sticking with just the 1394a connection for now.

Were you plugging into the front mic/instrument inputs? Or converting XLR to 1/4" to the back inputs? Or using a DI box in the front?

2) I guess I could try, it's pretty useless looking though. I figured I'd give them a call.

D)

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Ryan, are your speakers hooked up to your computer, or to the Firepod? I ran into issues when I tried to monitor through one system but record through another when I first got my first firewire interface. Not dead silence, but nothing good.

If it helps, these are my current Reaper settings, attached. You probably want something similar, though obviously with different names and whatnot.

Also, the headphone jack on the Presonus, or on your computer? If it's the former, that doesn't necessarily mean anything, it could very well be directly monitoring the input...

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ryan, are your speakers hooked up to your computer, or to the Firepod? I ran into issues when I tried to monitor through one system but record through another when I first got my first firewire interface. Not dead silence, but nothing good.

If it helps, these are my current Reaper settings, attached. You probably want something similar, though obviously with different names and whatnot.

Also, the headphone jack on the Presonus, or on your computer? If it's the former, that doesn't necessarily mean anything, it could very well be directly monitoring the input...
Drew, the speakers are hooked to the computer. I'm literally just running FireWire out of the FSM into my computer and hoping to receive and manipulate the audio stream completely on the computer. I have a good set of Klipsch speakers which will make for reasonable monitoring, and I can pipe the audio out to my hi-fi in the living room as well.

Thanks for the settings! Mine doesn't quite look like that, I'll try messing with it.

The headphone jack is on the PreSonus, but I don't think it's directly monitoring the input (as in, pre-digital conversion) because I can adjust the levels and routing to the headphone mix via the Universal Control software.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Ok, try monitoring through the Preosonus. For one, it's a better sound card than your computer's, and for another this could be part of your problem, too. You may need to hit radio shack or whatnot for a 2x 1/4" mono male to 1x 1/8" stereo female adaptor to plug in your speakers, but that shouldn't be more than a couple bucks.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
A) The headphone jack gives me awesome Axe-Fx audio. :yesway: This tells me the device is receiving the sound, converting it to digital (and I am able to adjust the clock rates, which momentarily interrupts the sound and then it kicks on again) and passing the data through the PreSonus "mixer" built into their Universal Control software.
Are the levels in the mixer moving?

Were you plugging into the front mic/instrument inputs? Or converting XLR to 1/4" to the back inputs? Or using a DI box in the front?
XLR out of the AFX straight XLR into the front. If I were you, I'd run the 1/4" to your wedge, and the XLR's to the FSM.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Ok, try monitoring through the Preosonus. For one, it's a better sound card than your computer's, and for another this could be part of your problem, too. You may need to hit radio shack or whatnot for a 2x 1/4" mono male to 1x 1/8" stereo female adaptor to plug in your speakers, but that shouldn't be more than a couple bucks.
This, but it's not what he wants to hear. :lol: Windows has ALWAYS sucked for me if I wanted to monitor with my PC speakers. Latency, driver madness, etc, etc. I know plenty of people get it to work just peachy, but 99% of the reason that I bought my monitors in the first place was so that I wouldn't have to deal with it.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Are the levels in the mixer moving?

XLR out of the AFX straight XLR into the front. If I were you, I'd run the 1/4" to your wedge, and the XLR's to the FSM.
The levels do move - I was hoping the picture illustrated that. The Line 3 In shows the signal, as does the Output 1-2.

You didn't have a problem with those being Mic inputs? They're high impedance... I don't know if that matters. I'd like to run balanced out for the noise rejection.

This, but it's not what he wants to hear. :lol: Windows has ALWAYS sucked for me if I wanted to monitor with my PC speakers. Latency, driver madness, etc, etc. I know plenty of people get it to work just peachy, but 99% of the reason that I bought my monitors in the first place was so that I wouldn't have to deal with it.
I'm open to anything that works, though I don't really want to drop bucks on monitors if I can avoid it. I suppose I could get nuts and use an audio switcher to select PreSonus or computer outs to the Klipsches so I don't have to un-plug them every time too :lol:. I could also just listen to my Reactor cab while I play and capture the audio in my DAW and then play it back through the computer/whatever after it's stored... I dunno.

I hadn't thought of the latency. It's 0 ms if you take the audio straight out of the PreSonus.

How much for those monitors you want to sell, Drew? :D

Like I said, I'm open to whatever works. I have to try Drew's Reaper setup that he just showed me, because I still don't have ANYTHING in my DAW, but that might just be my own stupid fault.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Shipping monitors will be more expensive than just buying a set of them in a store, most of the time. :( Unless you don't mind getting them a month from now. :lol:

You can just cable it up so that the ins from your Klipsch split two ways, 1/8" to your computer, and 1/4" to the headphone out of the FSM. That's kind of a ghetto setup, but it'd work, and cost you maybe $10 at Radio Shack.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
The levels do move - I was hoping the picture illustrated that. The Line 3 In shows the signal, as does the Output 1-2.
What is your track IO set to in Reaper?

And is the track armed? I don't think anything will show on the master (I'm not in front of it) if you just send it a signal. You need a track armed and listening to the corresponding inputs.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts