Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Have you owned an HM Strat? The Special isn't exactly my first choice, but it's better than the Kahler Spyders that came on the original ones. :lol:

Not to say I don't like Kahlers, the Killer can hang with OFRs, had one of those on a Zion, but the Spyder isn't great.

Also the, "........a reissue of the ’80s shredder model from California." past of the article isn't strictly correct. There are both MIA and MIJ HM2s. If you are buying one used you are just as likely getting an MIJ one, if not morseo.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Hopefully these aren't basswood as well, didn't see that in the article, hopefully they switched to alder, even though the originals are basswood.

Good to see they got the 25" scale correct though. A lot of people don't know the originals aren't 25.5"

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
Also the, "........a reissue of the '80s shredder model from California." past of the article isn't strictly correct. There are both MIA and MIJ HM2s. If you are buying one used you are just as likely getting an MIJ one, if not morseo.
Has it ever really been confirmed that there were USA ones at all? My impression is that they were all Japanese-made, with maybe some final assembly happening in California. Fender USA was basically defunct when most of these were made.

I had one I bought used in 1992, and it was a power shred machine. The only reasons I've been loathe to get another are the Kahler Spyder and that all the ones I've played in recent years are beat to shit. If this reissue is a faithful reproduction of the neck etc., then it's very tempting. I know that Fender doesn't want to step on the Charvel brand, but making the HM Strat into a real production model again would get a thumbs up from me.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Hopefully these aren't basswood as well, didn't see that in the article, hopefully they switched to alder, even though the originals are basswood.

Good to see they got the 25" scale correct though. A lot of people don't know the originals aren't 25.5"
I do. Which is why I've never wanted one.

Short scale superstrats belong in the fucking sea, along with electric cars that try to look sporty and aggressive.

If it's any shorter than 25.5" it needs to look like it was a tree less than a week ago, and/or be a set-neck Gibson model. I don't know why, this is just how it is.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Has it ever really been confirmed that there were USA ones at all? My impression is that they were all Japanese-made, with maybe some final assembly happening in California. Fender USA was basically defunct when most of these were made.
Well.........if you ask me they are definitely Japanese. But there are plenty of owners who swear up and down theirs are a mythical earlier all MIA strain to either hype up guitars they are selling or hype up guitars they already own. :lol:

Supposedly there are ways to tell based on this or that you'll hear the "mine is MIA" crowd spouting off, but they all sound pretty suspect to me. I think it's probably more of a difference between "mostly MIJ" and "totally MIJ" like you said. The earlier ones do have some slight differences.

They are cool guitars, tonally not amazing though. The originals had that sort of classic "wet cardboard" basswood sound. The neck and everything else is nice.

The Super 3s were also developed for those. I didn't closely read the reissue blurb, but I would imagine they are going for something else for bridge pickups. Considering the divisive reaction to that pickup, and the fact that even if you find it suited for some things, the vast majority of people didn't find it optimal in the HM2.

The HMs are cool if you can find them used for under $500. I wouldn't buy them for what people want these days though. :lol: No fucking way, I had a Jackson Fusion pro at the same time I had mine, and that is a way better choice if you want a short scale super strat and are ok with basswood.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have you owned an HM Strat?
Yes, I bought mine for maybe $500, then Rocka'd the living shit out of it and sold it for $50 :lol:

(sorry couldn't find a bigger picture)

I replaced the stupid Spyder bridge with a GOTOH Floyd instead.

Taken from this legendary speech:

·
I measure things
1,917 Posts
I'm stopping at my local guitar store after it opens today - hopefully the owner hasn't headed out for NAMM yet.

Going to see if he can get me one of the blue ones. I wanted one SO BADLY when they came out (thanks to Greg Howe) but didn't have the money (high school). Also, I don't ever remember seeing one in person.

It's that nostalgia thing.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.