Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
S1 Switching System

Anyone tried these? Looks like you could come up with some quite interesting combinations.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Pretty much, they just tie it in to any number of systems (a phase switch on teles, different tone caps on strats, etc), and call it the S1 switching system, for branding :lol:

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
It's sort of like a push-pull, except it's a button on the volume knob.

I don't really see the appeal - if I were to buy a new strat, I'd probably have the thing gutted and replaced with a standard 5-way.

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it just a DPDT switch?
Not sure...I have a feeling it might be actually, but Fender are apparently pretty secretive about some of their wierder wiring schemes, so it's hard to tell.

It's still quite an elegant design...

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's sort of like a push-pull, except it's a button on the volume knob.

I don't really see the appeal - if I were to buy a new strat, I'd probably have the thing gutted and replaced with a standard 5-way.
If I ever manage to get my hands on a proper strat, the first thing I'd do is add a neck-on switch, to get the neck and bridge pickups on together...

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
It's definitely cool that it's a push-button, rather than a push/pull pot. I'd get three of them :lol:

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
It's definitely cool that it's a push-button, rather than a push/pull pot. I'd get three of them :lol:
Except it is not as cool as a push/push pot, since you have to hit the button inside the knob, rather than just the knob.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Deaf Eddie - Guitar Whacko!

Check this guy out for some interesting mods to make a Strat insanely versatile. I almost had one put on the pickguard for my Carvin. I wussed out.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Except it is not as cool as a push/push pot, since you have to hit the button inside the knob, rather than just the knob.
For a strat-style knob, I think it's better, because they tend to taper towards the top, making them hard to pull up on with moist hands. Barrel, knurled knobs make push/pull switches a sure thing.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

He still said push push Leon ;)
You can't push down on the knob, the outside stays still
On a typical push push, the whole job moves, just as on a push push.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
For a strat-style knob, I think it's better, because they tend to taper towards the top, making them hard to pull up on with moist hands. Barrel, knurled knobs make push/pull switches a sure thing.
That's why I said push/push, not push/pull. ;)

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
The S-1 is a push/push, but it pushes down, then comes back out on the second push, right? I think a standard push/push just comes up to the same spot, which is why I've never used one. You can't just look at it and tell where you are :lol:

Or, I could be wrong.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
The S-1 is a push/push, but it pushes down, then comes back out on the second push, right? I think a standard push/push just comes up to the same spot, which is why I've never used one. You can't just look at it and tell where you are :lol:

Or, I could be wrong.
No, a push/push acts like the on/off switch on your typical footswitch.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Right, so you can't just look at it and know if it's on or off? I think that's the issue I have with putting those on a guitar. Unless there's an LED indicator :lol:

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Right, so you can't just look at it and know if it's on or off? I think that's the issue I have with putting those on a guitar. Unless there's an LED indicator :lol:
Actually I have used a Fender Strat with the S-1 system and when its "On" it is indented in the knob a little bit. That is how you know... At least thats how the one I was playing was like :lol:

·
AVH Guitar Repair
327 Posts
Oh the dreaded S1 switch, how I hate thee, let me count the ways... :noplease:

These were a constant source of annoyance for me, and accounted for approx. 30% of all FMIC warranty repair claims I would file when I was a retail store tech. I would see about 2-3 malfunctioning S1's per month. The turret mounted, circular board where most of the wire contacts are located, is very breakage prone, and well, just not solid. Often when depressing the switch, you could actually see the whole unit flex slightly...and when there was a short of any sort within that rats-nest of wiring, it is hellatious to trouble shoot.

Good idea in theory, just weak in execution.

For those who are curious, I pulled these out from my wiring diagram archives - a typical example of the common HSS Strat Deluxe...ugh, indeed. :ugh:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.