·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Duuuuuuuude....WTF? :lol:

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
Not everyone can be Lady Gaga, who could most definitely pull off what Fergie was going for, or whoever put that together was going for.

I wonder if she couldn't hear the music at all?

Always dug her vocals on this tune-

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Being an outsider, is there a special reason to play and have Artists doing the National Anthem on Sports done in your own country? We do the same in Europe, but only on International Competitions not when a Championship starts or Ends.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Being an outsider, is there a special reason to play and have Artists doing the National Anthem on Sports done in your own country? We do the same in Europe, but only on International Competitions not when a Championship starts or Ends.
There's a hockey team over here that's started singing the national anthem before every home game, with some visiting pop artist doing it. It somehow feels really weird to me that the it's sung when not actually celebrating independence day or some other really special occasion. To me, people doing these "patriotic" gestures as an everyday thing gives an awkward nationalistic vibe.

I get that it's probably different in the US, where this has been done for a long time. Although, I do find having kids recite the pledge of allegiance at the beginning of a school day a bit scary.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
I get that it's probably different in the US, where this has been done for a long time. Although, I do find having kids recite the pledge of allegiance at the beginning of a school day a bit scary.
Thank you, U.S.S.R.!

Well, and Red-fearing U.S. Conservatives.

As far as the anthem, here's a good rundown of where that started. I wish they'd go back to bands playing it. ;)

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
The singing of the national anthem before televised sporting events has become a bit like a trainwreck here in the U.S. We know they happen; sometimes we see them; but no one really takes notice unless it's either spectacular or there's blood and guts everywhere. Fergie is the latter, of course.

I didn't watch the event and didn't see her performance. I think I'll skip it now.

:dgaf:

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Although, I do find having kids recite the pledge of allegiance at the beginning of a school day a bit scary.
They do that? o_O

As far as the anthem, here's a good rundown of where that started. I wish they'd go back to bands playing it. ;)
Thanks, always wondered but never really knew why, Americans are very Nationalists, or at least its the notion we have by watching US Culture in movies... there's always a Flag shot on every movie (which gets annoying since yes we know you are in the US and we know its an American movie), seems there's always someone with a small one outside their houses and its not uncommon to see one on the wall on several YT videos :)

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
I wish they'd go back to bands playing it.
I was going to post something to this effect last night but I didn't want it to sound overly political. Luckily, here we are right on cue. :lol:

The anthem the way it's presented at most modern sporting events (bolded for emphasis) is a total circlejerk. For something that's supposed to be so solemn and meaningful, my entire life, all I ever hear before/during/after the anthem is about whether or not they hit "the note", remembered all the lyrics, whether or not they tried to ad lib/scat through it, etc. If the goal is to commemorate our military or whatever, I'll take the instrumental version any day. :2c:

Also, Stars and Stripes Forever is a better song.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Thanks, always wondered but never really knew why, Americans are very Nationalists, or at least its the notion we have by watching US Culture in movies... there's always a Flag shot on every movie (which gets annoying since yes we know you are in the US and we know its an American movie), seems there's always someone with a small one outside their houses and its not uncommon to see one on the wall on several YT videos :)
Being patriotic is not the same as being a radical nationalist. I grew up saying the pledge in class and it doesn't bother me. The problem we have these days is our absurd political climate and overabundance of racist, backwards shitbags waving the flag around. They've turned "I'm proud to be American" into "Fuck everyone who isn't white! 'Murica!". And it sucks.

This article here is a good read, and despite our current administration's best efforts, it's still representative of how most Americans feel.

The Americans are coming - CNN.com

(CNN) -- There was a phrase, or so we have long been told, that was heard in occupied Europe during World War II.

It was often said as a whisper, the story goes. It had the sound of a prayer.

The words were so simple, but to people who were feeling utterly abandoned and who needed help, those words meant so much.

Four words: "The Americans are coming."

Sometimes we forget about the power of those words, and about how, for so long, they defined the real meaning of what this country, at its best, could be. Sometimes, in the midst of all the bad news, in the midst of the mistakes this country inevitably makes, we lose sight of how much the people of the United States are counted on by those in need.
I work with soldiers and first responders for a living, and I am extremely proud of the way they represent my country. I won't say every time, but most times that there is a need for humanitarian aid the United States sends it's men and women to help. It's never a question of "if" the US will show up, it's when.

When many of us say "I'm proud to be American", this is what we're talking about.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
The problem we have these days is our absurd political climate and overabundance of racist, backwards shitbags waving the flag around. They've turned "I'm proud to be American" into "Fuck everyone who isn't white! 'Murica!". And it sucks.
The administration actively trying to rewrite and chip away at the things you described doesn't help either. Remember this gem?

https://www.cnn.com/2017/08/02/politics/emma-lazarus-poem-statue-of-liberty/index.html

"The Statue of Liberty says, 'Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses, yearning to breathe free.' It doesn't say anything about speaking English or being a computer programmer," Acosta said. "Aren't you trying to change what it means to be an immigrant coming into this country if you're telling them that you have to speak English?"

Miller responded that as a requirement to be naturalized, "you have to speak English," and continued, "so the notion that speaking English wouldn't be a part of immigration systems would be very ahistorical."

He went on: "Secondly, I don't want to get off into a whole thing about history here, but the Statue of Liberty is a symbol of American liberty lighting the world. The poem that you're referring to was added later (and) is not actually part of the original Statue of Liberty."

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
I heard how this was really horrible, lots of people panning it, but I just listened and it's not that bad. It's just different, her singing is fine. By the way people have been talking, I expected a Roseanne Barr redux...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts